• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have pos or neg effects from a magnesium supplement on mcs/mcas?

I haven't tried a magnesium supplement in a few years. My doctor just recomended that I try it, but im a bit hesitant. I'm now one of those hypersensitive types (i have pretty severe mcas, REALLY bad in the gut) and it seems like, from my research on how certain minerals can activate trp's and the pi3k pathway (which i do extremely well on supplements that inhibit it), magnesium might activate things and make my chemical sensitivities worse. Or, it could displace calcium and make things better. I can usually get an accurate idea of how i'll respond to something by digging through studies and such, but the waters are pretty murky on this one.

So, anyone have any substantial experience either way? If so, any other pertinent details would be appreciated.

Banana94

I inject magnesiumsulphat twice a week (100mg) subcutanous which is really helpful. I can't tolerate it orally

Learner1

I have MCAS and have taken magnesium for years with no issues, though I react to other things.

It does come in cream form for application to skin if you think that might be better.

Banana94

Oh sorry I didn't read that you asked for the effects on MCAS. I don't have MCAS (I believe) but it helped with energy