• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone had significant success with coconut oil (re: brain fog) & how do you take it ?

Bansaw

I have seen some good reports from people with Alzheimers with brain fog doing very well on coconut oil if they take sufficient dose.
Anyone here had good brain fog decrease with coconut oil?

I've taken some but not regular. It makes me nauseous and its very rich and sickly. I used the Barleans brand.

Anyone know how to take this stuff so it goes down easy?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I cook my morning eggs in it, but that doesn't give me a very big dose. I have difficulty digesting fats and take a digestive aid with quite a bit of lipase in it.

Do you know how much the people with Alzheimer's were taking?

Revel

Dr Newport suggests just over 2 tablespoons/day, which is the equivalent of 35ml or 7 level teaspoons. This should provide 20g medium-chain triglycerides (MCT).

This is the dose she recommends as a preventative measure against degenerative neurological disease or to treat an already established case.

I tried it last year but couldn't get anywhere near that amount without feeling queasy. I might try again soon, but take it really slow.

Bansaw

I tried it last year but couldn't get anywhere near that amount without feeling queasy. I might try again soon, but take it really slow.
Thats why I want to look at new ways of ingesting it. If I just take it straight Iits sickly and I get nauseous, and an upset stomach sometimes (if eaten on an empty stomach)

Revel

@Bansaw I was putting it in soups, smoothies and hot drinks.

Check out WellnessMama.com, she has an article, "7 ways to eat more coconut oil", which might help (she gives some baking recipes too).

Lou

Thats why I want to look at new ways of ingesting it. If I just take it straight Iits sickly and I get nauseous, and an upset stomach sometimes (if eaten on an empty stomach)

Do you ever eat bread? You can spread a near tablespoon on piece of cinnamon/raisin toast and if you use cold pressed organic coconut oil by Nutiva (imo by far the best tasting) you'll actually look forward to the next dosing.

Last edited:

Mij

I make myself a big bowl of organic popcorn and add a couple of TBSP of coconut oil. I've been using it in place of butter on everything, toast, rice, veggies. raw desserts etc. I consume a gallon of coconut oil every 4 months just for myslef. It raises LDL but also HDL.

presently_distant

Everywhere and Nowhere
I noticed I get a bit of a headache/dizziness when I take virgin Coconut oil. But it could be "dieoff" from candida or some virus.

Noticed some great benefits from just a tablespoon and a half:

- Less Brainfog (was starting to get really bad for me, I have chronic hypoglycemia)

- Quite a bit more energy to walk around and go about my day.

- Less anxiety and depression (really unexpected effect).

All in all, I definitely like the effects I'm getting. I just hope they continue unabated. In the future I imagine I'll try coenzyme vit B5/pantethine (helps with fat metabolism) and lipase (fat digesting enzyme) and see if the effect is more pronounced.

Old thread but might be useful to someone: Biona (available in Europe, can't remember if they export to the US) makes an organic coconut oil that is lightly steamed to remove the coconut taste. It then can really be used anywhere without feeling sickly.
My fav ways:
- blend it in a smoothie (keep in fridge to keep it in a solid state for this use), soup, the trick being to blend it with the ingredients. The tasteless one is fantastic for this.
- dessert balls (put the mix in ice cube containers and leave in the fridge): I mix same amount with coconut cream (my fav again is a Biona called coconut bliss, because it's solid at room temperature), and either add chlorella (for detox), or a mix of cinnamom powder, cardamom powder, cucurmin powder, a bit of chilli pepper and black pepper, meant to fight inflammation, but albeit both nice tasting desserts.
- of course as regular oil now it doesnt stink of coconut

I always notice some kind of clear brain feeling just after eating the coconut oil, like more relaxed in the brain and comfortable, but I don't think it really clears it short term. I don't think I've remembered enough days in a row to know if there are great long lasting effects!