• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone familiar with the IgA snps? Got some +/+

Are they really important?
do they have a role in the neverending gut and ENT infections?
Dont want to overlook them but neither to make them too important if they are not.
Any input is appreciated.thanks

upload_2015-1-23_18-39-38.png

Aurator

Are you IgA deficient? Are you saying you yourself have never-ending gut and ENT infections?

I am yes. Both blood and SigA. And yes also to the second question.
What I wanted to find out is do these snps really influence my body function?
So that I easily catch / develop infections?
Or is it the chronic infections that lowers the IgA.

Sea

I have IgA deficiency. I don't think chronic infections lower IgA, it's the other way around. Low IgA predisposes to infections.

Rs9275224 AA 20%. I am AA
Rs2856717 homozygous AA ranges from 1% to 18% depending on ethnicity. I am AG
Rs9275596 homozygous CC ranges from 4% to 14%. I am CT
Rs9357155 homozygous AA is 1% to 4%. I am GG

Rs2412971 overall minor allele frequency is 44%. I am GG
Rs4728142 overall minor allele frquency is 29%. I am AG. This snp has reference to more research in OMIM from dbsnp. It has some association with SLE (lupus).

I can't see any reference to research about IgA deficiency from these snps.

This research
http://www.nature.com/srep/2014/140509/srep04904/fig_tab/srep04904_T1.html
suggests that the minor alleles of rs9275224, rs2856717, rs9275596 and rs2412971 are actually protective against IgA nephropathy

Thank you for your answer Sea!.
Can you tell what do you do / did you do about that low IgA?
Ive read colostrum can help but I'm intolerant to dairy.

Sea

I know that some get IVIG, but it is not something my doctors have shown any interest in treating. Mine was only tested as an aside really when I was being tested for Celiac antibodies, because a negative antibody test for Celiac is irrelevant if you are IgA deficient.

Criteria for being treated with IVIG varies in different countries. In Australia you have to have a number of documented infections per year and I think deficiencies in IgG as well as IgA

oh, i thought there is something i can do by myself for that...
doctors here are neither open nor willing to treat / improve that as is not a problem?