• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else got anti smooth muscle antibodies?

Skippa

Anti-BS
Otherwise known as smooth muscle autoantibodies?

After a year of slightly raised liver enzymes, they finally went back to normal but bizarrely I now have slight levels of anti smooth muscle antibodies.

So, I've got to wait a year (?) to get it checked again to make sure it's not anything like auto hepatitis.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this occur, and if so what did it mean? Did it go away again?

msf

Yes, I had both of those when tested last year. It can be caused by infection, as I believe it to be in my case.

msf

As far as I remember, ASMA on its own is not typical of autoimmune hepatitis - usually AMA is positive too (I was negative for this).

Edit: Having checked, I seem to have remembered this wrong. I do remember my profile wasn´t a typical AIH one though - perhaps it was something to do with liver enzyme levels.

Last edited: