• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else get tired or spacey on adenosyl B12?

dbkita

Hi all.

I find whenever I take a 1/5-1/4 sublingual tablet of Source Naturals 10 mg adb12 that I get a strange type of fatigue, with not so much of a brain fog but a weird spacey feeling. Last for a couple of hours at least sometimes longer.

Anyone else get anything like this? Through process of elimination I have come to this conclusion that it is the adb12 (or something in the tablet I suppose).

I have read somewhere that adb12 needs carnitine to work? I already take creatine pyruvate, d-ribose, alpha lipoic acid and basic methylation cycle supplement (no TMG at present).

I can get into more detail about what I take specifically but right now I am interested in what experiences people have had with 2-3 mg of adb12. Is that too large a dose all at once? Are there needed cofactors?

Thanks ahead of time.

Phred

Hi dbkita,

How long after the adb12 do you get this feeling? I've noticed, the last several days, that about 2 hours after my adb12 has completely dissolved that I get really tired. I'll pay more attention today to see if I'm a little spacey too. I know I've had that spacey feeling lately too, but it's Christmas time and sleep deprivation is pretty high right now.

I saw you mention the carnitine on another thread. I was taking l-carnitine furmarate until a week ago. I was getting really bad heartburn so I stopped that, and a few other things, to try to settle my gut down. I've noticed that I'm getting cold really easy again too. I don't know if the carnitine was helping with the tired feeling or not. When I add the carnitine back (probably after Christmas) I'll pay particular attention to whether or not it helps with the sleepy spacey feeling.

dbkita

For me it starts about 30 minutes in while keeping the lozenge under the upper lip and maybe lasts for 2-3 hours tops.
I too wonder about the role of carnitine. I have not tried any of that in a long time since I have some T3 hormone issues already.

It is curious you reflux on carnitine. I reflux on CoQ10 regardless of form or manufacturer. Both are implicated as essential parts of the Krebs cycle. Maybe they are each our rate-limiting components for ATP production and once the parietal cells in the stomach are exposed to the missing pieces they make lots of acid. Just a hypothesis.

Phred

I don't know if the carnitine was giving me the heartburn. I had upped my folate intake quite a bit at the same time. I was also getting really bad headaches so I decided to slow down on the folate and stop the carnitine for a bit. I should also state that I have Celiac. My main symptom was heartburn. Once I went gluten and dairy free the heartburn calmed down a lot. I honestly don't know if it was some unknown gluten that got into me or if it was the folate or carnitine. There were just too many variables.

I've been wondering about my thyroid too. The doctors keep telling me that it's fine, but my hair is still falling out and not growing back the way it should. My sex drive went down to nothing too, until I took that carnitine. Then I wanted to grab every man I saw and jump all over him. It was a pretty wild time. lol.

dbkita

Thyroid is very important on so many levels. So you might want to get that checked out. Carnitine cannot fix thyroid levels.

And yes I have Celiac's also, and reflux is still a sensitive issue for me. In my case things like CoQ10 sets me off.
Sucks doesn't it?

Phred

Yes, Celiac does suck. I had to give up dairy too. The reflux subsided quite a bit after that. Although I accidentally had cheese the other day and I seem to be ok, so I may try to reintroduce dairy after Christmas.

I've had my thyroid checked a few times. The doctors always say it's fine. The last time I asked for the T3, T4, and TPO to be checked. The office didn't call, so I'm assuming it was all fine. They only call if there is a problem.

I realized too that I was messing up my d3 supps. My routine has been altered and I've been forgetting to take some. I'm going to up my dose to 4000iu and see if that helps with the hair thing. I'm currently taking 2400iu, IF I remember to take it.

dbkita

Yeah D3 is important. Make sure to take with fatty meals though or it will stimulate inflammation in the gut.

dbkita

Basically any fats should work for D3 absorption. The rest is up to you in terms of what fats you want for other health considerations. The point is without food and fats too much of the D3 will not be absorbed and travel further down the GI tract, stimulating the immune system (70+% which is in your gut), which increases inflammation and norepinephrine.