• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any treatment for nasal Staph Aureus infection?

Any suggestions other than antibiotics, for someone who has leaky gut and candida?
Doctor prescribed Keflex which I'm reluctant to take because it causes GI upset and destroys the good
bacteria in the gut. Have been having smelly post nasal drip for a month, hoping it would go away, but
it does not. :(

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
u might not have a choice but to use abx, if your worried about good bacteria etc then supplement with probiotics several hours after taking them as well as sacchramyce bouldarri or nystatin. Personally i have found doxycycline the best abx for my staph sinus infection but i use it long term at 100mg twice a day. a good nasal decongestant to help open sinuses and then hit it up with lots of saline nasal sprays for a few days to try and flush it out. oxymetazoline i have found the best decongested as it work almost straight away and works for along time but its not to be used for more then 3 days as u can get a respond affect from it.

good luck,
cheers!!

Kati

Patient in training
Zuriel, your option would be to get a culture and sensitivity test, then all the antibiotics sensitive to s.aureus would be listed. No point in taking an antibiotic that wouldn't work since it would make s.aureus more resistant.

ukxmrv

A nasal rinse with sea salt etc might be an alternative. I had an infection (it was never cultured but throat had an unspecified Straph a few times) and I got a lot of relief from this device.

http://www.hydromedonline.com/hp.html

The infection was so bad that a CAT scan showed it eating through my sinus area. After 3 months of using the irrigator another scan showed it was much better. The problem was that the infection kept coming back.

Taking Claritin every night regardless of hayfever and infection. Using a NETI pot with tea tree and sea salt if I can't use my irrigator.

Just a few ideas.

taniaaust1

Zuriel, your option would be to get a culture and sensitivity test, then all the antibiotics sensitive to s.aureus would be listed. No point in taking an antibiotic that wouldn't work since it would make s.aureus more resistant.

I agree with what Kati has said here. My nasal staph on testing was immune to most of the antibiotics (they tested it against about 9-11 kinds and it only responded to 3) .. They tested it to see what would kill it before my doctor prescribed any antibiotics for it. As this can be still apparently hard to get rid of even with antibiotics (and often apparently comes back) .. I took large doses Olive leaf extract when I had the antibiotic (erythromycin?) ..to make sure i wouldnt need a second course. That seemed to fix it and it was gone on retesting and didnt come back (thou it may of done so now as Im getting a nasal smell at times but it then had been fine for 4-5 years before that after treating it).

If u arent going to take antibiotics, I suggest to get some good quality Olive leaf extract and try taking large doses, its antibacterial (along with being antiviral and antifungal so anti candida as well).

Thanks to all for your replies. Swab culture showed sensitivities to Fluclox, Cefazolin, Cephalexin and Erythromycin.
All these will cause GI disturbance to my sensitive gut which includes pain and slow digestion. Antihistamines did not
offer any relief. Will be going for mini CT sinuses next week.

Nasal cleansing with olive leaf extract sounds good as natural alternative to antibiotics. Shall give it a go. Thanks for
sharing.

Crux

Zuriel
Hi Zuriel;
I've used essential Oil of Oregano with excellent results.

http://vetdergi.kafkas.edu.tr/extdocs/2010_4A/S23_S29.pdf

Try to find the strongest type, highest in carvacrol. It's taste is so strong, I would advise using capsules or gelcaps.

I also make a drink, similar to a 'virgin bloody mary', with : Veggie juice,( organic or V8), Garlic clove, ( antibiotic properties), Horseradish, ( antibiotic properties, Bubbie's is a good brand), lemon juice, celery seed, worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, 'Old Bay' seasoning, (for flavor, optional), salt and pepper.

Wayne

Do a google search for "nasal specific" and "balloon sinuplasty". Both involve structurally opening up (fairly easily and fairly permanently) some of the narrow sinus openings so they can drain properly, and remove the cause of the infections to begin with. These procedures get more to the cause of sinus infections, instead of treating them with some kind of band aid. Fluoroquinolone antibiotics for sinus infections, such as Levaquin, can be VERY dangerous (I would recommend doing a search on these dangers if you're at all considering using them).

ukxmrv

I didn't have any good response to treating my chonic sinus infections with oil of oregano or with olive leaf extract but hope that you have better luck Zuriel.

being

My credit cards are one the fritz but I have paypal, would anyone please be willing the tp purchose and ship the vaccine to my addreess? I will paypal your the amount plust $20 for your services. Please help me someone, thank you very much.