• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ANY IDEAS ? How to stop vertigo, nausea and feeling unsteady

Boule de feu

Six years ago (just before being diagnosed), I had a very severe episode of vertigo that lasted for weeks. It was just awful. It started again last night. I was about to leave the house, this morning, and can't. The vertigo and nausea are bothering me too much. I'm afraid I will fall.

Any ideas how to stop this? Why is it happening now? What could have triggered it?
The vertigo I am experiencing is the one with the spinning of the room around me.
If I move my head or my body, it gets worse. It has to stop. The nausea is unbereable.

P.S. Sorry if there is a thread about this. I did not check.

maddietod

I had this once, out of the blue. I was told it was caused by an infection deeper in the ear than the normal ones. I took a prescription drug - Antivert - that helped. I remember touching the walls when I had to walk, because I couldn't move my head at all or I'd fall down.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've had this twice also. The first time was when I was at a clinic doing a lot of heavy detox--so I think it was related to that. It lasted about a week. I also couldn't walk.

The second time was when I was surrounded by forest fires and there was a lot of smoke in the air. I hadn't really noticed the effect of the smoke and hadn't related it to the severe vertigo I was having until friends told me that others living in the smoke were getting vertigo too. It stopped when the smoke went away.

Yes, horrible and this is anecdotal, but for me both cases seemed to be related to processing toxins.

Sushi

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I had it constantly for years before I found help for my CFS. I found out I had almost NO b12. Since then I can't remember it happening. That is one thing to think about. I am SO SORRY.

I keep Bonine on hand just in case. Meclizine is in Bonine, now over the counter. Call your doctor to see if you can get a medicine for it. Let us know how you are doing. Hugs!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
For symptom relief, antihistamines can help as they are useful for nausea, headaches etc The best i think being phenergan. otherwise the anti-nausea drugs like stemetil being the drug of choice or maxolon. Antihistamine periactin is also good and used alot for migraines too. Antihistamines are good for alot of things, not just allergies.
http://www.drugs-expert.com/phenergan-promethazine/

cheers!!!

Esther12

I just had a brief bought of vertigo today. I get it a couple of days after having had a migraine... mine have just been improving over the last 9 months (this was the first time in about 6 months, and wasn't very bad).

I find it a bit useful to look in to the distance, and then switch between looking at two different spots. I find that trying to stay on one spots, causes a spin to begin, but moving between the two lets things calm down a bit. As I said though, I've been lucky and things have been improving for me.

I think that things like reading (lots of looking at something close, looking down) seemed to be bad for me. I hope things improve for you... I found vertigo to be the most disabling thing I've had to deal with. I hope you're able to find some time to do something enjoyable, to help yourself get over the unpleasantness - it always took me a few days to recover from even brief episodes.

Best wishes.

taniaaust1

Ive only had one vertigo incident. It was strange coming on instantly.. dropping me to the floor right away with the room spinning one way real fast. Within 10-20 seconds I was almost throwing my guts due to it but then it stopped so I didnt end up throwing up. It stopped as fast as it came on. Ive no idea what caused it.

Im so grateful that hasnt happened to me again. I sympathise.. its the most aweful feeling, that was worst then how i feel when Im about to faint. I hope you find something to help it.

Causes can be many with so many toxins around. Sometimes our body just hasn't been dumping toxins effectively enough. Over the years we've used a tissue salt/homeopathic called NATRUM SULPH for vertigo and/or nausea and found it very effective.
Here's a link to that for more info:
http://www.homeopathy-help.net/Remedies/TISSUE_SALTS/nat-s.html
I even use plain sodium sulfate as a sulfur supplement. I've had a big jar of that powder for years. Sodium sulfate is known as Glauber's Salt and use to be readily available in drug stores in the USA because larger doses of it were laxative. But I've used about 1/8 tsp in water to help clear me out of a sleepy fog without any laxative effect at all. Blessings to you Boule de feu as you exit that icky spin!

Boule de feu

I'm still having a pretty difficult time, so i've been avoiding the computer. Can't read (and make sense) of all of your messages right now but I will come back to them the minute I feel a bit better. The vertigo causes severe nausea which is unbearable. That's the worst part of it.

Than you for your help.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
am

I noticed that you mentioned going out in the am. I am rarely up to going out until 3 hours after waking. When I first wake up I take a vaso drug and stay in bed laying and sitting for an hour. If I dont do that I can get up and faint, and I am sick for the rest of the day. If I follow that routine I am usually ok for the afternoon, but I do have to sit often with my bum lower and legs elevated (recliner). I am constantly trying to pace and when I do something standing i try and sit as much as possible or move constantly to keep the blood flowing. I also always wear the travel socks and am now trying the rocker shoes hoping to get the leg muscles moving and pumping blood more.

glen

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
Vertigo and nausea. What an awful double whammy. So sorry you're going through this Boule. I find ginger helps nausea FWIW, but I don't suffer from vertigo, so not sure it will help.

meadowlark

I wish I had a solution for you, Boule de Feu, but I send you all my sympathies. I went periods of this for three years. But now I've been free of it for seven. IIRC, Laura Hillebrand's "A Sudden Illness" describes the feeling of the bed rocking crazily (at severe angles) beneath her, and I had that as well. I do recommend ginger tea for nausea, and if vertigo strikes when you're walking, focus (if you can) at some point far in the distance. I did this during vertigo and the visual display I used to get before a grand mal. It can get you through a critical few minutes.

Throwing up is the insult to the injury. So, so sorry you are going through this.

You should consider curcumin as a possible treatment for this disorder, IMO.

This is the specific product I recommend (I'm not affiliated with the seller):

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Super-BIO-Curcumin-400-mg-60-Veggie-Caps/15211?at=0

I would try one with breakfast and one with dinner for several days; then one per day after that.

This particular supplement above is very high quality and gets my highest recommendation.

There are many cheaper products but absorbability is a problem.