• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any Dr Cheney patients? Does he still stand by Clonazepam (low dose) for excitotxicty

hixxy

I'm curious for those who have developed tolerances to benzos (klonopin in particular), if they find that they lose the sedating calming affect, and in it's place get a "buzz" or stimulating effect. It's not like excitotoxicity, but different somehow.

The same happens for me with valium. Tolerance for me develops rapidly. If I take valium or klonopin daily for anymore then a week, then this will happen and the dose will have to creep to get the calming effect again.

xchocoholic

IF I remember correctly, I never increased my benzos because my doctor wouldn't allow it. He'd tell me to try other things (trazodone, benadryl, skelaxin, etc) and if I had to go a few days without sleep not to worry about it. Eventually, I would sleep. He was right. I felt like crap the whole time but he was right about the sleep. (FWIW .. I sure as hell would not recommend that to anyone. I feel so much better avoiding excitotoxins, or taking melatonin, 5htp and theanine if I can't sleep.)

I used to get the buzzing feeling your talking about tho. From what I've seen it's not uncommon in gluten intolerance. We used to talk about it on celiac dot com ... They may still but I'm not there anymore ... Within a day or so of giving up gluten, this stopped for me. I get it again if I eat gluten.

Just a thought ... Maybe your glutamate intake is just too high and there's only so much a benzo can do. I only respond to gluten this way but Dogtorj (he's a vet who was working with animals when he discovered this) says that he's seen others who respond to other glutamates. I only remember him specifically talking about seizures and glutamates tho not buzzing. He may have but I just don't remember. He has a website if you're interested. I have seizures too and don't know if they're connected.

tc ... x