• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any Change on Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine)?

The immunomodulatory effect of Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) is interesting. Via its modulation of toll-like receptors it may have some impact on reducing production of Interferon-alpha amongst other factors. Seeing as recombinant IFN-a inections (used in Hepatitis C) causes many but not all of the symptoms of ME - albeit I don't know the severity of the muscle weakness or 'fatigue' that is felt during high dose therapy..

Have any of you had experience of taking this drug consistently over some duration (i.e. several months or more) perhaps for those of you who have been treated for Lyme? If so what was your dose? I'm currently exploring new treatment options, this being one and Valcyte (as I had a Herx response to Famvir - but I was on quite a low dose 500mg/day and only on for about two months, which is far too short a time). My Immunoglobulin can't remeber which one is what, was high to EBV showing 'past' infection.

Thanks,

Energyoverload.

Ruthie24

Interesting that you posted this right now. My rheumatologist just order Plaquenil for me to try to see if it would help any of my symptoms. Haven't started it yet but was wondering the same thing you have asked here.

Ema

I took it for about a year at doses ranging from 200-400 mg.

It was prescribed as an adjunct to Lyme antibiotic treatment. It is supposed to shift the cellular pH so that azithromycin becomes even more effective. It is also supposed to help with inflammation and some people get some pain relief out of it.

I took it alongside other antibiotics and antivirals.

I can't say that I ever noticed anything specifically that I could attribute to the Plaquenil at any point during the treatment of after I stopped it. I didn't notice anything good or bad.

I don't regret trying it though because I think some people do get good effects from it. Just be sure to get the regular eye exams and let the doctor know that you are taking Plaquenil (though doses under 400 mg are generally considered to be safe).

Ema

Hi,
I'm sick since 2006; diagnosed with Lyme in Oct 2013; began taking 200mg/day of Plaquenil in Dec 2013. Felt significantly better on it. Began Azithromycin a couple of months later, but it made me so unwell I was unwilling to tolerate it (unable to function at work) and stopped, but continued with the Plaquenil.
All well until a couple of weeks ago when I began to get severe itching on my arms. I believe this might be a reaction to the Plaquenil (I had a similar problem years ago six months after I began taking Malarone as a malaria prophylactic). I won't be able to see my doctor until March. I'm thinking of stopping the Plaquenil - though nervous about feeling worse again, especially with my doc being unavailable til March.
Has anyone out there had a similar reaction to Plaquenil? Has anyone (who had been doing well on it) stopped taking it and become much worse, or not noticed a difference?
Thanks for any input!
Nicky