• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anxiety over something a month away

hurtingallthetimet

i am having such anxiety and panic over having to drive one of kids to his school, luckly its in area and distance i feel safe at least, i did it with our other child before they got permenant license...we cant afford permanent license because of insurance yet on the child i will be driving has the one where can drive with someone over 21 yrs and he is a great driver...

its just the knowing i have to get out and im not use to doing that unless i have to really and its not often...doctors..grocerys..etc. and i cant take medications if i drive and while my child can drive there with me i will have to drive back by self...

..i know it may sound crazy but im having a hard time with it...and i know it will wear me out...it is a round trip of about hour in morning and afternoon...ill talk with psych doctor and conselour hopefully they can help...just needed to talk about it...i hate feeling so crazy..i use to be so normal : (

We understand. Sorry you have to do it.

I hate when I get anxious about something farther away.

Can you take a supplement that is calming? I can take GABA, L-theanine, or some others. It doesn't erase the anxiety for me, but it helps some.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Would doing the journey a couple of times on perhaps a Sunday with someone with you help build up your confidence, I know its not the actual driving you are worried about, but if you feel okay after the practice runs this will have a positive impact on your fears. Or any chance of someone else sitting in the car with you for the first few jouneys to school?
You've done it before, but after having a break, its not the safe and familiar anymore, with this illness many of us don't deal well with this. But it always helps to have a contingency plan, any friends go to the school who live in your area who could give a lift to your child?? buses? occasional taxi if desperate?

Years ago after I had been very ill I became frightened about being on my own, my husband used to drive out of the gates and I would be gripped with panic, what helped me deal with that was I used to phone my wonderful sister (who passed away last year) just as he was going, I would talk to her for say 20 minutes begin to feel better, and then get busy doing something, knowing I only had to pick up the phone, the feeling gradually went away as my confidence grew back ie. nothing happened to me. He leaves me all the time now:)
Its hard working out what the cause of our fears and panicky feelings are but you probably know best what would make you feel better/more confident on that journey back.

hurtingallthetimet

thanks for the advice and replies...sickofsickness i will try to remember to look into the supplement your talking about thanks for the info...

maryb first of all im so very sorry to hear about your sister i know that must have been and must be very hard i hope that your wonderful memorys of her help to ease your pain {sounds like you were close even from what little you mentioned} ...

thanks for sharing your story it helps to know that im not the only one that is or has gone through this...helps me to feel not so crazy... i wasnt always like this...anyone would be shocked to have known me before i was ill and the me i am now...i become ill with so many illness after becoming ill with these illness...its like a whole bunch of other illness/problems come with being ill and were magnified..

if anyone had told me this is what my life would be like at this age i would have thougth they were the crazy ones...these illness have taken away my life, and left me a shell....scared..sick...i hate the anxieys, the panic attacks..i hate it all : (

there are no buses to whree my child goes {its college} no one lives near us to share a ride either...and right now we cant afford the full insurance to drive alone...but i keep trying to focus on the positive of it..it is area i feel "safe" distance driving, i can go back roads to avoid traffic and i know it will drain me like crazy..doing anyting causes crashes...but i keep telling myself that at least it is a safe distance area...

tahnks again for the support it means alot

taniaaust1

If your fears are irrational at all... consider hypnosis as a therapy. It can work well with fears. Also EFT can help many thou it seems a weird therapy, Ive seen it realy work great for some.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thank you for your kind words about my sister, it still hurts like hell, I miss her wisdom and love so much as well as the fact that she was the only one who truly understood how ill I am.
I agree, the difference that this illness makes to our personality is incredible, non-one coming from our distant past would recognize us.
And thats one reason why the psychs homed in on us, because they are simply stupid people, instead of focusing on why the illness has this effect they took the symptoms to mean we are all anxious, psychologically flawed etc, but they were also able to take over because no-one else in the medical field was interested!

You are doing the right thing, focusing on the positive, I agree about hypnotherapy - positive imagery is good too if you can't make it to a hypnotherapist though, bit like self hypnosis, make sure you won't be disturbed, give yourself 20-30 minute at least, close your eyes, relax, feel your regular breathing, count slowly down from 10-1 - then imagine yourself dropping your son off, do the drive home, then getting home and putting your feet up and enjoying a coffeee. Try and imagine everything you would do, locking the car, walking up the path, after enjoying that count slowly back up from 1-10, the important bit is feeling the satisfaction at the end. Remember that feeling focusing on a word/words like 'job done' anything will do. If you do this often enough just saying the words will bring that positive feeling back.

Enid

Yes I do agree try to stay positive. Remembering things like must do appointments in the future yet at the present couldn't do - try to forget until the day - then fingers crossed and when "job done" enjoy the sense of your achievement. It's great if you can.

hurtingallthetimet

thanks again...i had been in alot of pain and fatigue since trip i took so i think that added to it all...doctor did increase my morphine for the pain, i was on a very low dose for awhile so she said it was time to increase, i took morphine put on back brace and took short stroll with one of kids and hubby to feed ducks...at least to the point i dont care what people think of the back brace its the kind cant wear under a shirt but too hot to put jacket over and the morphine helped me be able to take the walk and i enjoyed the time with my family...

hurtingallthetimet

Thank you for your kind words about my sister, it still hurts like hell, I miss her wisdom and love so much as well as the fact that she was the only one who truly understood how ill I am.
I agree, the difference that this illness makes to our personality is incredible, non-one coming from our distant past would recognize us.
And thats one reason why the psychs homed in on us, because they are simply stupid people, instead of focusing on why the illness has this effect they took the symptoms to mean we are all anxious, psychologically flawed etc, but they were also able to take over because no-one else in the medical field was interested!"

maryb again how sad that your sister passed and i hope that you find someone who understands how ill you are close in your life...i think it really makes a huge difference having surportive understanding people but espically when its family you are close to...

it is sad that the medical field doesnt seem interested in these illness...maybe there are other illness out there like these that they arent interested in but it seems like these illness get little to no respect, understanding, or sympathy...any illness can be very hard..but it still shocks me as ive vented many times.how little understanding is shown to these illness...