• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anxiety, food intolerances, cbs and sulfation

BFG

Hi guys,

Lately I have been having pretty bad panic attacks and anxiety with increasing food
intolerances to sulfury foods such as cruciferous veggies and eggs, and foods with high salicylate/phenol content. So I read around on the forums and on fdc/cutler book and forums and think this my be related to my high cysteine and cystathionine that was found on my Genova Nutreval test results and or sulfation issues. Andy Cutler says people with mercury with usually have high cysteine and will need to exclude high thiol foods and high sulfur people are usually low in sulfates. So does this mean the more sulfate in the urine the higher the sulfate in the blood?I am trying to understand how this all fits into my heterozygous CBS A360A, BHMT+/-
and my transsulfuration pathway.

I don't know if I have an up regulation of cbs gene as my test results indicate otherwise: high cysteine, high cystathionine, low taurine, low b6, normal ammonia . Do these results mean a down regulation despite my CBS a360A +/-?

I have tried taking TMG and lecithin, but I felt really agitated and both of them made me feel wired and tired. Yucca made me feel awful. I have cut out foods high in thiol/cysteine, but my anxiety hasn't improved much. Can anyone help me try and figure this out? Very Much appreciated.

Would it make sense to try molybdenum and sulfates?

Last edited:

taniaaust1

Hair testing can show if you are low on molybdenum. I have CBS mutation and on my hair test I was so deficient in molybdenum that my level was almost completely nil. Supplementation of molybdenum supplements for well over a year.. and Im still deficient in it. I still need it double what it is now to get within a low normal range.

I suggest to get more tests to help guide you. (taking molybdenum hugely helped my brain within first week of supplementation but hasnt helped anything else yet.. maybe cause Im still quite deficient).

BFG

Taniaaust1 did you find molybdenum helpful for any symptoms?my molybdenum looks to be in the normal range, but i think i read somewhere that hair was not a good indicator for moly in tissues.

I have had many tests done, but cant seem to find a doctor who knows how to treat. If anyone wants to comment on my hair test it is uploaded here and is hair test 904.
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/hairtest/hairtest3/

Nutreval and stool test done last yesr here
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nd-2100-gi-effects-results.24206/#post-370936

Violeta

Have you read the thread about the same topic by soulfeast? Especially valuable is Vegas' post.

Star-Anise

Hi @BFG
You can read about my success with Yasko's CSB protocol on this forum, perhaps you have already found it..
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/cbs-success.23257/
The CBS protocol is a controversial one, as some people do not experience the same success as I did, and the CBS gene is hotly debated as to whether it even causes the problems that Yasko claims it does.
I was getting agitation from similar foods as you, and it did not decrease at all, until I followed this protocol. As well I had my amalgam fillings removed by a mercury safe dentist last year. I am not sure about my cysteine levels & I have not tested my urine, as I have experienced progressively more positive symptoms as I go along & don't want to overly complicate my world. I was never one to love high-sulphur foods anyhow. I do eat meat, and more accurately follow a low-thiol diet.

I have tried taking TMG and lecithin, but I felt really agitated and both of them made me feel wired and tired.
I have never tried TMG, but lecithin does the same thing to me.

Yucca made me feel awful.
Same. I think people that have weak adrenals respond this way. My theory is that this is due to the natural saponins in Yucca being steroidal & if you are sensitive to steroids, which I became at my current stage of adrenal healing, you can have that response.

I have cut out foods high in thiol/cysteine, but my anxiety hasn't improved much.
I would try a series of charcoal flushes. See my phoenix rising link above for more information, along with keeping the low thiol diet. You may have to look at cutting back meat temporarily.

And yes, I would start on the molybdenum and the manganese that Yasko recommends. Try one at a time though, as I did find I had to work up to taking both at once.

As well I found that the oral molybdenum works much better to avoid the anxiety response then the liquid form. I'm not sure if it is the molybdenum itself or the other preservatives such as citric acid & lactic acid that cause my anxiety, but I recently tried a liquid molybdenum & what an anxiety trip that brought me on, lol ;) I use this brand of molybdenum:
http://newrootsherbal.com/product/id/846
I have read that it is important to ensure you are using the rice-chelated one.

I would't be discouraged if you do not have extremely positive results right away, but I would expect that you would notice some slower positive results over a longer period of time, i.e. 6 weeks, if this isn't the case, and nothing is noticed when following the protocol (charcoal flushes + low thiol diet - with potential meat exclusion + supportive supplements) then I question whether CBS is your problem or not. In that case, I would look to leaky gut & food sensitivities, or increased histamine as being potential factors in your increasing food sensitivities.

Hope that helps,
S

BFG

@Violeta thanks I did read it and learned a lot, but am a little more confused.

@Star-Anise thank you for sharing your experience and encouraging to hear of your sucess. I think I will try the charcoal flushes and I have some molybdenum on the way, but I cannot tolerate magnesium because it makes me really fatigued. I think I also have adrenal problems, have you found anything to help with that?

ahmo

@BFG, I've found adrenal glandulars to be very helpful. I started them at a time when I could no longer process the other adrenal support things I'd been using. The glandular seems to add what I need directly, without the need to convert anything. Since getting my methylation working, I've been able to reduce from twice a day to once only. I use Enzymatic Therapies Adrenergize from iherb. cheers, ahmo

musicchick581

Hi guys,

Lately I have been having pretty bad panic attacks and anxiety with increasing food
intolerances to sulfury foods such as cruciferous veggies and eggs, and foods with high salicylate/phenol content. So I read around on the forums and on fdc/cutler book and forums and think this my be related to my high cysteine and cystathionine that was found on my Genova Nutreval test results and or sulfation issues. Andy Cutler says people with mercury with usually have high cysteine and will need to exclude high thiol foods and high sulfur people are usually low in sulfates. So does this mean the more sulfate in the urine the higher the sulfate in the blood?I am trying to understand how this all fits into my heterozygous CBS A360A, BHMT+/-

I don't know if I have an up regulation of cbs gene as my test results indicate otherwise: high cysteine, high cystathionine, low taurine, low b6, normal ammonia . Do these results mean a down regulation despite my CBS a360A +/-?

I have tried taking TMG and lecithin, but I felt really agitated and both of them made me feel wired and tired. Yucca made me feel awful. I have cut out foods high in thiol/cysteine, but my anxiety hasn't improved much. Can anyone help me try and figure this out? Very Much appreciated.

@BFG Ditto to panic/anxiety/food intolerances for years though...CBS same as yours...CBS360A +/- but BHMT 8 +/+. Urine sulfate is >800. Doc has me on NAC but my multi has molybdenum. Tried DMG but it revved me up. Very confused what to do. Can't take out meat because I feel better on it. Have LPR reflux too so sensitive to acidic foods. Currently eating low acid, low histamine. Adding low sulfur too would just stink.

ahmo

@musicchick581 Low sulfur might stink, but it would be worth a trial...1-3 days, to see if your anxiety shifts. My only green veggies at present are lettuce in juice and zucchini. Most others are high thiol it seems.:( But the good news is that after 3 months intensive detoxxing, today I self-tested for lower dose of Yasko's CBS RNA formula. So change does happen. Following up on copper as suggested in the other thread is a good direction. I'm at the end of my bright ideas re finding the source of your anxiety:bang-head: There are a number of supp suggestions on the following thread. The one that I took away from it was adding arginine to my already long list of amino supps. Best to you, ahmo

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/

musicchick581

@ahmo Thank you. I really appreciate your response. I'm getting more frustrated the more research I do and feel so misguided. I want my doctor to do more and feel like I just don't know what to do.

I'm going to take your advice to go low sulfur for 3 days while testing with the sulfate strips a couple times a day. I need to stop the NAC then. I actually felt amazing after carrots and celery with sunflower seed butter tonight.

How long are you going low sulfur? Just until your levels drop or will you continue it forever? Did you have your copper tested?

I will check out your link. Thank you again!

ahmo

@musicchick581 I'll stay low sulfur at least until my body signals enough of this intensive detox period. I tolerate chlorella, which is high, but it's the only thing I take. Don't know how long this will be, but I've been low thiol for nealy 2 years now. My hair test shows normal copper, but I think it had been high recently. I just continue on with my detox procedures, which includes high Z, Se, Mang, which all help drive the other metals out. I've had to radically rearrange my head, I no longer look at anything in my diet or practice as temporary. For now, it's all there is. Mostly this is just fine. but I've had a couple years to adjust to this minimalist diet and lifestyle. Best to you, ahmo

dannybex

Hi guys,

Hi BFG,

DbKita is very educated re the CBS mutations. Here's a link to one of her posts:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/cbs-protocol.22905/#post-350832

I too have big issues with sals/phenols, but am wondering if a more simple solution might be trying some b6 and magnesium to help the sulfation pathway? Kurt -- a longtime member of these forums -- got rid of his anxiety in 2 days by doing just that (after starting with methylb12 and vitamin C). I was too chicken to try it back in 2011 as I thought I was getting neuropathy from b6, but after looking at my diary from then… the neuropathy could have come from many other things.

Last edited:

Freddd

Hi guys,

Hi BFG,

The anxiety and panic attacks may be telling you something about your neurological health. In many people that have anxiety and panic attacks along with the FMS/CFS symptoms in general may have some limbic system (parts of brain) damage apparently caused by AdoCbl/LCF insufficiencies in the brain by not producing enough ATP which also hinders dopamine production. Some foods (specific nutrients) can cause large mood swings in anxiety and panic possibly followed by anger and depression. When accompanied by MeCbl insufficiencies the symptoms can be much worse. Starting up these damaged areas with nutrients can cause all sorts of reactions and needs to be approached carefully.

I have similar issues to the ones posted in this thread. Mainly, brain fog, fatigue, leaky gut, Epstein Barr, Panic and anxiety issues, Sleeping disorders, insomnia, sleep apnea (sometimes), food intolerances to wheat, dairy, dairy, grains, nightshades, phenols, oxalates, nitrates, thiol sulfur, grains, etc.

Also, taking Sulphur foods causes me stomach distress with foul gas and foods high in Sulphur like Epsom Salts cause anxiety. High protein food causes me more fatigue and brain fog.

I went Gluten/ Diary free since 18 months and see quite a bit of improvement in my anxiety. I am now suspecting sulfur/sulphate intolerance and need help on how I can resolve my issues.

Gene Mutations: MTRR A66G +/+, COMT H62H +/+, MTHFR A1298C +/- , MTRR R415T +/-, MTRR 11 +/-, BHMT 2 +/-, BHMT 4 +/-, BHMT 8 +/-, CBS A360A +/-, COMT V158M +/-, VDR Taq1 +/-, NOS D298E +/- and ACAT/ 1-02 +/-

Current Supplements: Magnesium Glycinate, Lithium Orotate 5mg, Vitamin C Buffered, Zinc 30mg, Selenium 200 mg, Manganese 5mg, Chromium 200 mcg, Molybdenum 200mcg, Vitamin D3 5000IU + K2 daily, Monolaurin, Iodine (Kelp) and Vitamin B12 (Hydoxyl) 1000 mcg

I still have anxiety though and am sure now that something is causing high glutamate levels in my body. I am wondering what I could do to based on SNP mutations and my symptoms. Viral overload, SIBO and fatigue is persistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have similar issues to the ones posted in this thread. Mainly, brain fog, fatigue, leaky gut, Epstein Barr, Panic and anxiety issues, Sleeping disorders, insomnia, sleep apnea (sometimes), food intolerances to wheat, dairy, dairy, grains, nightshades, phenols, oxalates, nitrates, thiol sulfur, grains, etc.

Also, taking Sulphur foods causes me stomach distress with foul gas and foods high in Sulphur like Epsom Salts cause anxiety. High protein food causes me more fatigue and brain fog.

I went Gluten/ Diary free since 18 months and see quite a bit of improvement in my anxiety. I am now suspecting sulfur/sulphate intolerance and need help on how I can resolve my issues.

Gene Mutations: MTRR A66G +/+, COMT H62H +/+, MTHFR A1298C +/- , MTRR R415T +/-, MTRR 11 +/-, BHMT 2 +/-, BHMT 4 +/-, BHMT 8 +/-, CBS A360A +/-, COMT V158M +/-, VDR Taq1 +/-, NOS D298E +/- and ACAT/ 1-02 +/-

Current Supplements: Magnesium Glycinate, Lithium Orotate 5mg, Vitamin C Buffered, Zinc 30mg, Selenium 200 mg, Manganese 5mg, Chromium 200 mcg, Molybdenum 200mcg, Vitamin D3 5000IU + K2 daily, Monolaurin, Iodine (Kelp) and Vitamin B12 (Hydoxyl) 1000 mcg

I still have anxiety though and am sure now that something is causing high glutamate levels in my body. I am wondering what I could do to based on SNP mutations and my symptoms. Viral overload, SIBO and fatigue is persistent.

Folks, Any help is appreciated..

@racerbiker39 I am having similar problems too for 2 years now. I've cut out all high thiol foods and can't do Epsom salts either. The only helpful thing I have to suggest is you could try taking more molybdenum (up to 1000mcg ) to help with the sulphur pathways. There is a lot of info on sulphur intolerance and heavy metals on Andy Cutler Living networks website and the FB group called Andy Cutler chelation. Good luck

Thanks @ahmo and @wiltedflower77 Any suggestions on my SNP's specifically the ones on Hetero MTHFR A1298C, BHMT2,4,6,8 and CBS A360A +/- and +/-, NOS D298E? My NO levels show depleted on test strips and I am wondering if this is related to low BH4 (due to MTHFR A1298C). Thanks

alicec

Thanks @ahmo and @wiltedflower77 Any suggestions on my SNP's specifically the ones on Hetero MTHFR A1298C, BHMT2,4,6,8 and CBS A360A +/- and +/-, NOS D298E? My NO levels show depleted on test strips and I am wondering if this is related to low BH4 (due to MTHFR A1298C). Thanks

Sounds like you have been reading Yasko or a Yasko derivative. Her claims about CBS upregulation are simply nonsense, based on a complete misinterpretation of research.

There is a link to a post about this earlier in this thread, here is a thread discussing it, here and here are a couple of other relevant posts.

Similarly her claims about the link between MTHFR A1298C, BH4 and NOS are nonsense, based on misinterpretation of research and misreading of metabolic pathway diagrams. There is no link.

Here, here here here and here are some relevant posts.

Those SNPs are not the cause of your health problems and none of the ones you list have any significant effect.