• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anxiety flaring up again since having the flu

Hi guys

My CFS has been pretty stable up until Xmas and I could predict my symptoms and how much rest I need.

Since having the flu for ten days over Xmas I’ve felt my anxiety levels creeping up about the fear of total relapse and fear of extreme brain fog like when I was first ill. My chronic sinusitis has been making me feel foggy which hasn’t helped this either.

As a result I’ve been feeling on edge and not sleeping enough. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I could take some sleeping tablets but I don’t really want to...

Thank you in advance x

Richard7

Just a couple of ideas Lucy,

First, if anxiety is a normal issue for you you may want to look at the first couple of posts in this thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/

Hip has found that about half of the people who have tried tumeric + flaxseed oil + N acetyl Glucosamine report significant reductions in anxiety.

Second consider PoTS. PoTS is an autonomic problem common amoungst pwme/cfs. It is made worse by inflammation - the flu in this case. And doctors often mistaken it for anxiety.

Physically PoTS is much the same as anxiety, your heart beats faster, maybe you get palpitations or feel dizzy and so on. And even when you know the cause I find it feels the same subjectively.

Formally you test for PoTS by doing something like the NASA lean test https://batemanhornecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NASA-Lean-Test-Instructions.pdf

If you have a heart rate meter you can get an approximation at home. If your standing rate is more than 30BPM above your resting rate (lying down 10 minutes without moving or talking) or your heart rate is 120 or over standing you have PoTS.

As anxiety is the issue the simplest thing might be to take salt, or better still salt and potassium chloride with some water, and then rest with your feet up and see if you become less anxious.

If you have some BCAAs or other aminos on hand I would suggest trying 12.5g amino acids with 3.5g salt 2.25g potassium chloride and 2g bicarbonate of soda (NaHCO3). (It will work faster, than salt and potassium alone)

Last edited: