• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anxiety/agitation caused by LDN

leaves

I am on LDN for several months now. It does improve my energy but also seem to cause agitation/ stressed out feeling, like my system is in overdrive. Anyone else had this?

Mij

LDN did this to me after taking it for only 3 weeks. It put me in such a state of agitation and bad mood I could no longer stand it. I didn't take it long enough to know whether it would help my energy levels but I did not like the way I felt so I discontiuned.

lemonworld

Are there more experiences with this?

I'm on day two and I have horrible anxiety (it's so bad I can't focus on anything else), unease, my heart beat feels weird, stomach ache, shallow sleep and nightmares. It's definetly the LDN causing this, as I took it for only one day last month, and got the exact same effect as I have now. No positive effects yet.

I really want LDN to work for me, so I'm willing to give it time.

I started on 0.75 and I'm planning to increase slowly. (Edit: could it be this is too high to start with?)

Mary

Moderator Resource
@lemonworld - ldn made me feel like a zombie, even at very low doses (0.25 mg). The last time I tried it, I took it for 3 days and finally realized it was interfering with my functioning - it had been raining for hard for 3 days, my roof was leaking, and all I had been doing was putting buckets in the living room and watching the leaks .... it finally occurred to me that perhaps I should do something else! and realized I had to stop the ldn. It's not for everyone.

me/cfs 27931

Did you get anxiety from the lower doses?
I felt almost no effect until I got to 7mg or higher. However, I don't think I'm typical in needing/tolerating the higher doses.

Increased anxiety has not been something I've experienced from any dose of LDN.

Doses from 4.5-9mg were prescribed by Open Medicine Institute in Mountain View, California.

lemonworld

I think it's the 4th morning now and I'm stopping now. I can't handle this crushing anxiety and intense dreams. It's so miserable. I've seen people say it takes time to work, up to 6 months, but this is not something I can handle right now. Maybe I'll try again later.

If anyone has experience of anxiety initially on LDN, but getting better later while staying on it, please let me know.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I started on 0.75 and I'm planning to increase slowly. (Edit: could it be this is too high to start with?)

I started at 0.025 mg/day and increased over the course of a month. I had some of the common side effects such as insomnia and stomach discomfort but after I found my ideal dose I have been very stable. I hit anxiety at 4-4.5 mg/day and found that my ideal dose is 2.5 mg/day. Some people need to start with ultra low doses (ie. 0.001 mg/day).

I read one comment where someone experienced anxiety from the Avicel filler but didn't have anxiety when they switched to a probiotic filler. Since LDN is water soluble you can use the distilled water method and a) draw the liquid off while leaving the filler at the bottom of the jar (don't shake it) or b) use a coffee filter to remove the filler so that you just have distilled water and LDN in the jar.

Your severe response is probably a good sign that you can benefit from LDN, if only you can find the right starting dose and carefully work your way up.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
trying to remove the filler.

If you use a coffee filter, or something similar, wet it first with a little distilled water. This will allow it to filter out the filler without absorbing much of the LDN liquid. Minimizing absorption by the filter is important to keep your doses accurate.