• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antivirals, Liver Function, & Inflammation

antares4141

The basic idea is that beta lactam antibiotics, as well as having an antibacterial effect, also happen to increase the number of glutamate transporters in the brain, which are found on brain cells.

Thanks Hip. I've been going through this cycle of feeling good enough to do some light work around my house and than crashing the next day. Still not been clear headed enough to try to wrap my brain around this. Because of the heightened activity and the resulting crashes. Today is a bad day. If I get a good one tomorrow I should probably try to spend it reading up on this. I am on antibiotics now. Without looking at my diary I think it's been about ten days now. Suspect I'm doing better than without. But nowhere as good as the first time around. I want to try the valtrex again but afraid it might be doing more damage than good. Based on the mild pain in my stomach (actually colon I suspect) Think it's causing inflammation.

redaxe

@antares4141
It's interesting that a number of people are having success with beta-lactam antibiotics, like amoxicillin, ampicillin, etc.

There are at least a couple of threads now on the ability of those beta-lactams to decrease the harmful effects of glutamate in the brain (via upregulation of a glutamate transporter). This is the most recent, I think, and it also references an earlier thread:
Ampicillin increases GLT-1 expression

I also had a step-up improvement after taking a double course of Cephalexin. I was prescribed it by an ENT for sinusitis - what they got on a swab was a heavy growth of Golden Staph. My brain fog largely alleviated from that and memory and energy seemed to improve noticeably. It seemed to be a permanent lift for me although it by no means got me back to 100%. The benefit seemed to come around day 6-7 and no further gains were felt on that drug.

I can't really figure that one out - it did help with the sinusitis but I totally did not expect such a wide range of improvement to occur.

SDSue

Southeast
Hi @SDSue

What do you attribute your improved kidney function to?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Great question! I wish I knew. Funny you should ask, though, as I just saw my nephrologist today. Theories on the table include:

1. Kidneys were under EBV attack and Famvir is helping treat the infection.

2. It’s more likely that my my eGFR is simply inconsistent due to my muscle wasting over as I spend more time bed bound (thus reduced serum creatinine) and/or my dysautonomia-induced varying levels of volume depletion. I’m scheduled to do another 24-hour urine catch to get a better idea of what’s really going on. I’m quite tall and thin, so eGFR wasn’t really deigned with me in mind. :rolleyes:

dannybex

Thanks @SDSue for your speedy reply. Sorry to hear of your muscle wasting and current state. I'm in the same boat -- had muscle wasting now for about 4 years and am very close to being bedridden.

I haven't had the GFR tests, but last BUN/Creatinine test was slightly abnormal (a year ago) and kidneys (or the kidney/lower back area) has been giving me increasing trouble lately so will be trying to get in to see the doc soon.

I've been eating too many carbs -- not good for the kidneys due to increased chances of insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome (or even pre-diabetes) -- but it's been the only way to keep some weight on. But it's "bad" weight -- all around my middle, while my legs are just skin and bones, a scary sight.

Have you looked into intestinal issues -- like malabsorption due to inflammation -- or leaky gut? Do you have or did you have sensitivities to foods or something else that may have caused gut issues?

I seem to reject most of what I eat, and am sensitive or intolerant to many foods that would be beneficial -- so personally, I'm trying to look more into 'why' I have these bizarre intolerances and/or possible malabsorption as no one has been able to sufficiently explain why I've had this wasting going on (although RichVank thought it was methylation related).

Anyway, I'd would be interested in hearing your story or hypothesis (or your doctor's) as to why you're experiencing muscle wasting.

Last edited:

SDSue

Southeast
Thanks @SDSue for your speedy reply. Sorry to hear of your muscle wasting and current state. I'm in the same boat -- had muscle wasting now for about 4 years and am very close to being bedridden.
Sorry to hear this. I know too well what it’s like. I am fragile and walk a very fine line, worrying that one false move will land me permanently in bed.

Have you looked into intestinal issues -- like malabsorption due to inflammation -- or leaky gut? Do you have or did you have sensitivities to foods or something else that may have caused gut issues?
I have recently become “allergic” to many foods. It had gotten so bad with daily migraines, IBS, etc, that I had my IgG food allergies tested. Most of my mainstays - chicken, potatoes, coconut, peanuts, and others that I ate almost daily - are now off the table and I’m on a 4-day rotation of safe foods only. My headaches are better (for now) but I’d sure like to find the underlying cause of all this hypersensitivity.

I’m playing around with the probiotic Miyarisan and use Mutaflor pretty steadily. I think Mutaflor got me out of a tailspin of IBS about 2 years ago, but it’s so hard to know.

Anyway, I'd would be interested in hearing your story or hypothesis (or your doctor's) as to why you're experiencing muscle wasting.

Early in my disease, when I was still mild with increasingly shorter periods of “normal” between crashes, I started muscle wasting and had profound weakness particularly in my legs. Looking back, I had highly elevated cortisol then, so wonder if that’s what started the wasting. Now, I think it’s due to inactivity. I miss my legs….. among many other things!

dannybex

Thanks again for your reply. It could be that it was a combination of high cortisol and inactivity, but who knows? Again, I can relate -- my muscle loss is the worst in my legs and feet, and believe me, I miss 'em too.

My intolerances have increased as well, and while some things seem to help a little, they're not really helping the overall picture, so I'm seriously considering helminth therapy. One of the most consistent successes they've seen is reduction and sometimes complete elimination of food intolerance.

SDSue

Southeast
My intolerances have increased as well, and while some things seem to help a little, they're not really helping the overall picture, so I'm seriously considering helminth therapy. One of the most consistent successes they've seen is reduction and sometimes complete elimination of food intolerance.
I’ve never heard of helminth. Any good references or info you can share? Thanks!

Ode to My Legs, in Haiku form, dedicated to @dannybex:

Oh legs, why fail me?
Once so quick and powerful.
#$# &$^$ %#%# ##$@!
~SDSue

dannybex

Yes, they're parasites. But some parasites are good, while others not so good.

There are several different types of and also ways to 'acquire' helminths -- some use hookworms that are (I think) in some sort of gel that one puts on one's arm, then covers with a bandage. They then travel to the gut over the period of a month or so (?) and I think then that it takes a few months before people notice a difference.

Here's a google search using the terms 'helminth' and 'food intolerance' for more info:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Helminth+"food+intolerance"

A couple of facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/autoimmunetherapies

https://www.facebook.com/groups/htsupport/

There are also studies on helminth therapy for Parkinson's, MS, arthritis, etc., all found with a google search.

But a friend of mine has recommended the HDC helminth, which is microscopic, and just swallowed with a little liquid. She said she's spent over $300,000 during the last 10 years or so trying to help her autistic son, and this has been the most effective treatment so far. His food intolerances almost disappeared within a week, and his anxieties, mood swings, etc., also diminished.

Here's a link to the place she orders them from:

https://biomerestoration.com

They have more info on their hypothesis, especially on the FAQs page, and also there's a link to a youtube video (which is quite long, but interesting -- especially the first 20 minutes or so.)

dannybex

Also -- very important -- some people have eliminated their food intolerances by taking anti-parasite drugs -- by getting rid of parasites. So again, there are apparently 'good' ones, and naturally 'bad' ones as well.