• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiviral therapy of 2 patients w/ chromosomally-integrated HHV-6A presenting w/ cognitive dysfunctn

Dolphin

I don't know if these patients are like ME/CFS patients or not.
But given Dr. Montoya was trying antiviral therapy on ME/CFS patients, I thought I'd post it.
http://www.journalofclinicalvirology.com/article/S1386-6532(12)00211-9/abstract
Journal of Clinical Virology
Article in Press
Antiviral therapy of two patients with chromosomally-integrated human herpesvirus-6A presenting with cognitive dysfunction

Received 2 April 2012; received in revised form 23 May 2012; accepted 24 May 2012. published online 09 July 2012.
Corrected Proof

Abstract

Background

Human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) is a neurotropic virus implicated in central nervous system (CNS) dysfunction, multiple sclerosis, seizures and encephalitis. Inherited or “chromosomally integrated” HHV-6 (CIHHV-6) is a condition characterized by high DNA loads and germ line transmission of HHV-6 genomes, which are integrated into the telomere.
Objectives

We previously reported that integrated HHV-6 can be reactivated by trichostatin A in vitro. Therefore, we hypothesized that a broad array of neurological symptoms of CIHHV-6 patients may respond to antiviral drug treatment.
Study design

The patients have been treated with antiviral drugs and monitored for viral load, late mRNA, and clinical improvement.
Results

Antiviral therapy of two CIHHV patients resulted in successful clinical resolution. However, both patients relapsed on multiple occasions within 4–6 months of cessation of antiviral therapy.
Conclusions

Successful antiviral drug treatment suggests that clinical symptoms of these patients were due to symptomatic reactivation of CIHHV-6. Alternatively, some CIHHV-6 patients may have a reduced resistance to community-acquired HHV-6 strains due to tolerance leading to persistent infections.
Keywords: Human herpesvirus 6, HHV-6, Chromosomally integrated HHV-6, CIHHV-6, Inherited HHV-6

Enid

Interesting - thanks Dolphin. (being a herpes simplex sufferer most of my life too).