• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiviral suggestions

nryanh94

I received my bloodwork today, and have a follow up with my Dr on Wednesday.

I tested positive for active HHV-6 as well as EBV.

And C pneumoniae

What would be the best antiviral/antibiotic combination for this. Would Valcyte work on both viruses simultaneously?

Thank you,

Tammy

I am taking herbal anti-virals for EBV (2 and 1/2) yrs and still continuing to make improvements.

I have taken these anti-virals.............not all at the same time.

Liquid Licorice tincture............alcohol free
Liquid Cats Claw tincture..........alcohol free
L-lysine
Monolaurin
Lemon Balm
Olive leaf

Hip

Would Valcyte work on both viruses simultaneously?

Yes, Valcyte works for EBV, HHV-6 and cytomegalovirus. Whereas Valtrex works for EBV, but not for HHV-6 or cytomegalovirus.

Dr Lerner's and Prof Montoya's antiviral protocol is detailed here. Generally it will take 3 or 4 months before you even begin to see the first improvements.

Azithromycin can be used for Chlamydia pneumoniae; see this paper.

Where you tested for coxsackievirus B and echovirus?

nryanh94

Yes, Valcyte works for EBV, HHV-6 and cytomegalovirus. Whereas Valtrex works for EBV, but not for HHV-6 or cytomegalovirus.

Dr Lerner's and Prof Montoya's antiviral protocol is detailed here. Generally it will take 3 or 4 months before you even begin to see the first improvements.

Azithromycin can be used for Chlamydia pneumoniae; see this paper.

Where you tested for coxsackievirus B and echovirus?

I was not tested for either of those.

Thanks for the information

nryanh94

I should add that I'm lucky in the fact that I'm in the mild/moderate category. Even when I have pem I can still get up and move around/ go to a restaurant (not anymore than that).

With that I'm concerned about using Valcyte and was curious if something like nexavir was a better option

Ema

I would look at BHT, http://www.projectwellbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/BHTbook-StevenWmFowkes-100903.pdf.

I took Nexavir and then, later, Valcyte. I think it is difficult to make a comparison between the two. One may work better than another for any individual. There are pros and cons to both.

If you are taking Valcyte, close monitoring of blood work is necessary. It's very expensive, but typically covered by insurance. There may be more side effects.

Nexavir, the injectable form, may not be easily sourced anymore. It is also expensive, not as costly as Valcyte, but also not covered by insurance. I did not have any side effects with Nexavir, but it didn't produce any benefits particularly either.

nryanh94

Also I've read if you have a bacterial infection like pneumoniae the anti vitals don't work? Is that true or would the combined andtiviral and antibiotic work?

nryanh94

I am taking herbal anti-virals for EBV (2 and 1/2) yrs and still continuing to make improvements.

I have taken these anti-virals.............not all at the same time.

Liquid Licorice tincture............alcohol free
Liquid Cats Claw tincture..........alcohol free
L-lysine
Monolaurin
Lemon Balm
Olive leaf
Hey Tammy Merry Christmas,

How often do you rotate these, and how many at a time/ what dosage?

Tammy

Hey Tammy Merry Christmas,

How often do you rotate these, and how many at a time/ what dosage?
I took Cats Claw, and L-lysine almost continually for the first couple of years. Licorice.....I took in cycles of 4 weeks on 2 weeks off. The other anti-virals I brought in at the 2 yr mark for various reasons.

Dosages : I started off with small dosages and worked my way up to what was recommended on the bottle. Re: L-lysine...........I took above what the recommended dosage was. On average I take approx. 4,000 - 6,000 mgs of L-lysine daily and the same with Vit C as they work synergistically together. I did give myself little breaks now and then. This month will mark 2 1/2 yrs on my anti- viral protocol and I feel better than I have in MANY years. (I'm also doing other supps).

Last edited: