• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiviral Antibodies against EBV and Neurotransmitters in Patients with Fibromyalgia

Aurator

Dear Barb,
I am beginning to get an idea of ME/CFS but so far I have not got my head around fibromyalgia. Part of the problem is that a lot of doctors use the term just to have a clever word to say.
The professor of rheumatology I saw diagnosed me with fibromyalgia - much to my mystification. I hadn't reported any excessive pain or soreness in the limbs, I repeatedly answered no to his inquiry whether I had "chronic widespread pain", and I reported only PEM, extreme fatigue, unrefreshing sleep, sore throat, loss of voice, swollen lymph glands, and some of the other usual symptoms consistent with a diagnosis of ME/CFS.

And yet I was given a diagnosis of fibromyalgia as well as ME/CFS. I suspect the reason was not so much that he wanted to have a clever word to say as that he sensed I was genuinely ill, couldn't find a reason why, and wanted to offset my disappointment at the impasse by at least sending me away with an impressive-sounding list of polysyllabic ailments; he was such a nice chap that I really wanted to tell him he didn't need to add things to the list gratuitously like that.

student

@Aurator - good 2016
See a convention from Sept 2015 – for CFS in Germany: There Mastcells MCAD – Fibro and ME/CFS seem to be pulled together seemingly as one entity thought.

Fatigatio „NO 38 CFS/ME Forum 01.2016: pg 28- 31 “ from german anual CFS convention 2015: Scheibenbogen C, Update on CFS/ME. Schnakenberg SNPs. Pöhlau D, Raithel MCAD disseas, Kersten Fibromyalgie, or Kamsteeg HPU- / overlap of theses disseas and CFS
Dr Kersten http://www.dr-kersten.com/?Praxis-Schwerpunkte:Fibromyalgie_-_psychosomatisch_oder_eine_klassische_mitochondriale_Multisystemerkrankung?
I summerise from the talk - already Ethan B Russo- 2003- saw connections in these: migren, Fibro, CFS, bowel, musel spastic and pain
Endo-Cannaboidnoid system (EBS) is mentioned with good results from universita Mannheim 2006, or L Maximilians 2012 D, - Nabilon studie Canada were quoted with: More than 50% pain reduction - Glutamat, BABA,Acetylcholin, Serotonin, Dopamin etc. get downregulation with cannaboinoid. Dr Kersten raises hope – that there could be a therapie. / strange talk...

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
There is no clear methodology or results data in the abstract, which should be there if this was a high quality study. So this sets off some alarm bells. Probably enough to not make it worthwhile to read the full paper.