ME/CFS and the Change of Seasons: How Does This Affect You?
The advent of autumn can hit Jody Smith pretty hard. She's learned a few ways to lessen the damage every year. How do you handle the change of seasons?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antibody Biomarker Discovery Research at Bateman Horne Center using technology from Serimmune

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Hufsamor, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
  2. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    The analysis identified a set of antibody species that occur more often in patients with ME/CFS and FM than in healthy controls. Through this analysis we aim to map antigens back to particular organisms in the environment that may give rise to these antibodies in some ME/CFS and FM patients.

This preliminary result was intriguing enough that the next batch of 150 blood samples was sent to Serimmune last week to confirm these results as well as expand the number of antigens that are recognized. We hope to publish these results in early 2019.

Shoshana, Learner1 and ljimbo423 like this.
  3. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Interesting but a shame there's no more details. I wonder when they're aiming to publish?

Learner1 and shannah like this.
  4. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    Maybe early 2019?
    Together with results from the next 150 blood samples?

Moof, Shoshana and Learner1 like this.
  5. uglevod

uglevod

Mean cytokine levels in ME/CFS patients(a table):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5576836/table/t03/?report=objectonly

From the following paper:

Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5576836/
    Although the inclusion of fatigue duration as an additional covariate was expected to result in a loss of statistical power, regression analysis by both disease severity and fatigue duration revealed that the upward linear trend across disease severity remained statistically significant for CCL11, CXCL10, G-CSF, GM-CSF, IFN-γ, IL-4, IL-5, IL-7, IL-12p70, IL-13, IL-17F, leptin, LIF, NGF, ICAM1, and resistin. The findings by severity for CXCL1, SCF, and TGF-α shifted slightly above the threshold for statistical significance (CXCL1, adjusted P = 0.0536; SCF, adjusted P = 0.0531; TGF-α, adjusted P = 0.0797), possibly because of variance inflation (18) by the independent covariate of fatigue duration. Only CXCL9 and IL-1α inversely correlated with fatigue duration but lost statistical significance after correction for multiple comparisons (SI Appendix, Table S2).
    Remarkably, 17 cytokines were associated with severity in ME/CFS patients. Thirteen of these 17 cytokines are primarily proinflammatory: CCL11, CXCL1, CXCL10, IFN-γ, IL-4, IL-5, IL-7, IL-12, IL-13, IL-17, leptin, G-CSF, and GM-CSF.

By picking CXCL10(for example):

CXCL10/IP-10 in Infectious Diseases Pathogenesis and Potential Therapeutic Implications
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3203691/
    Inflammation is associated with secretion of CXCL10 from leukocytes, neutrophils, eosinophils [1], monocytes, epithelia, endothelial and stromal cells, and keratinocytes in response to IFN-γ [2-3]. CXCL10 specifically activates CXCR3 receptor, a seven trans-membrane-spanning G protein-coupled receptor (GPCRs) [4], which is predominantly expressed on activated T, B lymphocyte [5], natural killer (NK), dendritic and macrophage cells. CXCL10 induces chemotaxis, apoptosis, cell growth inhibition and angiostasis. Abnormal levels of CXCL10 have been observed in body fluids of individuals infected with viruses [1, 6-7], bacteria [8-9], fungi [10] and parasites [11-13] indicating an important role in pathogenesis of these diseases.

Hufsamor likes this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member

This antibody work is very similar to what others have done.

Here is a thread from Feb 2017
    NVCBR researchers close in on a diagnostic test for ME/CFS patients

Cort wrote about the research at the Nevada Center for Biomedical Research here
    https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/03/21/immunosignature-biomarker-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

I seem to remember seeing another article or video about similar antibody research recently but can't remember where. I'm glad to see it being replicated.

@Hufsamor may I suggest you update the title to something more descriptive like "Antibody Biomarker Discovery Research at Bateman Horne Center using technology from Serimmune".

Shoshana and JadeD like this.
  7. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member

Okay found it. It's a post also by @Hufsamor
    Latest from Fluge and Mella: ME/CFS Immunosignature Identified

Paper : Immunosignature Analysis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
    Link : https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12035-018-1354-8

It sure would be nice if the Bateman Horne center could try and match the same immunosignatures as used in these two other research findings.

Moof, Shoshana and Hufsamor like this.
  8. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

I visited the BHC about 2 months ago and asked Suzanne about this. She was very excited about it. She said it was using new technology. She tried to get together an antibody study using researchers across the country at least 5 years ago - well before the recent interest in autoimmunity. It seemed very promising given the people she got interested in it - many of whom I'd never heard of - but the grant was denied.

Glad to see the antibody work moving forward :)

9. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    I would have if I could, but it seems I have forgotten how I did it?
    May you guide me?

10. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    I changed it. :) I'll have to check and see how it's ordinarily done and will get back to you so you could do it yourself in the future.

Hufsamor likes this.
  11. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    @Mary thanks...
    I've done it myself ones before...
    So I'm afraid it doesn't help if you explain now, next time I need it, I have probably forgotten again :)

alkt and Mary like this.
  12. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    I know the feeling!:lol:

alkt and Hufsamor like this.
  13. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    @Hufsamor - on the off-chance that you might remember how to do this (;)) when you want to change a name again, here's how: Click on or scroll over "thread tools" at the top right side of the thread. A menu will pop up, click on "edit thread", and you'll be given an option to change the thread name. I believe you will have about a week after a thread is created in which to change its name. If it's been longer than that, say a few weeks or months, and you think a name change is needed, let one of the moderators know and we can do it for you :nerd:

Hufsamor, Learner1 and wigglethemouse like this.
  14. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    @Mary thanks again!
    I've saved your explanation as a bookmark,
    so I find it again when needed:thumbsup:

Mary likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.