A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antibiotics may reduce the ability of immune cells to kill bacteria

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by hixxy, Dec 2, 2017.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Rest here: https://phys.org/news/2017-11-antibiotics-ability-immune-cells-bacteria.html
    Original paper: http://www.cell.com/cell-host-microbe/abstract/S1931-3128(17)30455-9

ahmo, Thinktank and pibee like this.
  2. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    Again, it confirms that antibiotics should be reserved for infections only which cannot be cleared by the immune system and that need treatment.
    Not for so called "overgrowth of certain bacteria" in the gut and other nonsensical treatments.
    Also long-term antibiotic treatment for lyme disease is not proven to be benificial, most patients are still sick after years of taking the antibiotics. Perhaps it's the antibiotics keeping them sick...

3. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

We have intracellular bacterias that some people's immune system isn't able to get under control.
    (chlamydophila pneumoniae, mycoplasma species, chlamydia trachomatis, chlamydia psittaci, yersinia enterolitica, helicobacter pilori...)
    I know that the topic is controversial and that doctors treating these intracellular bacterial infections are facing many critics, but some patients benefit from it and I was one of them. (even if I got side effects from these antibiotics)

The problem is that no test is yet really able to predict who will benefit from it and who won't do.

4. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

5. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    hmm i'm considering going on antibiotics to see if it works--cause of my illness was lyme (a positive test result and fever and bullseye--e.g. it was definitely lyme) and am looking for advice. didn't get a positive lyme test recently (only one band) but did test positive for mycoplasma. they want to do 3 months of oral antibiotics

See more popular forum discussions.