• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibiotic Question**

xrayspex

I have a failed new root canal that seems to be infected at some level due to pain I get in tooth still when bite--they recommended to get either apical surgery or extraction--am trying to put off my decision until end of year---so took antibiotics to try to help buy time

amoxicillin and clindaymcin which are common for dental both cause pain in me right away--in my body and head---and I am trying to work close to full time (where I am allowed lie down breaks) and I can't afford to be flared up in worse pain from antibiotics (no medical people have good explanation for that side effect)--so those are not an option

SO I elected to take Azithromyocin because I had success with it earlier this year when I had to take it for pneumonia for first time--and nice side effect was it cut back for months my dental pain and body pain I get from ME/Autoimmune stuff

unfortunately this time it was harder and I got the increased pain side effect like I do with amoxicillin--tooth hurt incredibly worse and I got a lot more pain in my body--I already had body pain probably from dental infection wreaking havoc on my immune stuff--but the antibiotic made it worse and I also felt emotionally less stable, like falling apart; so I took only 4 of the 6 zpack and I was planning on pulsing the last two Cheney style--I think last Wed night was last time I took one--but I just haven't had the heart to take another one yet, was too busy to get more messed up than I already am--the pain has subsided a bit now that its been a number of days since z-max

so my question is what do you experienced antibiotic people think? Is it really risky not to just take them all right away as recommended? or my plan ok to wait til mid week, take one, than wait another half week and another one--afraid to even do that--and how much am I tempting bacteria to get worse with the tooth if I don't do it soon? I do feel now that things are calmer that the z-max has calmed down my tooth pain--but I still feel pretty wanky weak--which zmax can do to me, I forget how long I am weaker after taking it

the effects of antibiotics and antivirals on me reminds me of the awful pain I saw my dog in when she had chemo for cancer...I get like that where I just want to go into fetal position and end it its so bad-if anyone understands that would love to hear your thoughts on that too--it has been established thru integrative medicine tests that I have harder time detoxing chemicals but I don't know if that can account for all of it

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
sorry to hear the heard time you have been having. Cant advise you on abx but just wondering if you have you ever been tested for Lyme?

xrayspex

I don't think I have, which is surprising as I have tested out of pocket for many things including xmrv back in the day...I did just rewatch Under Our Skin and thought it could explain a lot for a lot of us...but so could a lot of things....don't trust the govmt ;)

Crux

Hi,
Don't know if I can help either, but I'm also on antibiotics for a failed root canal from a bridge that was too much stress on a weak tooth. The root is cracked, infected, and I heard the endodontist say under his breath...'fistula'.

The dentist was closed on friday, and I'm more afraid of the infection morbidity than the side effects of abx, though painful, as you know.

I take Hydrocortisone, and increasing the dosage has helped with the pain and inflammation from the abx. ( I'm taking clindamycin. It's day three - getting better.) I've read that HC, or prednisone has been prescribed with abx for this reason.

This is the 3rd time I've tried to take clindamycin for infections, and I've been able to tolerate higher dosages each time. The higher dosage is thought to better penetrate tissues. Tooth root infections are difficult to treat, I've read.

I've also read that successful treatment is really dependent on draining the abscess. ( I'm hoping the dentist will do this procedure without sending me to an oral surgeon.)

Anyway, I hope you can have this infection treated soon. It can be dangerous. Sorry to be scary, but 'they' are finding that these infections can spread....

xrayspex

Thanks Crux--yea I worry about that--infection spreading--I have noticed since I have started having these troubles i can go into constant flares when a dental infection isnt dealt with properly
right now the endo didnt think anything looked or seemed obviously weird but is justgoing on my symptoms

I went and took one of the zmax after reading yr thing, feel like I should finish the course sooner than later
Clindaymycin might be better for dental but its 10 days that I doubt I could handle! that one can also cause c diff right?? always some downside
as far as pain medicine I did finally break down and take something besides homeopathy or acupuncture and it helps but its not a good solution because it causes backlash pain too and hurts me in other ways, its a very short term fix for me with repercussions not pretty

Hi,
Don't know if I can help either, but I'm also on antibiotics for a failed root canal from a bridge that was too much stress on a weak tooth. The root is cracked, infected, and I heard the endodontist say under his breath...'fistula'.

The dentist was closed on friday, and I'm more afraid of the infection morbidity than the side effects of abx, though painful, as you know.

I take Hydrocortisone, and increasing the dosage has helped with the pain and inflammation from the abx. ( I'm taking clindamycin. It's day three - getting better.) I've read that HC, or prednisone has been prescribed with abx for this reason.

This is the 3rd time I've tried to take clindamycin for infections, and I've been able to tolerate higher dosages each time. The higher dosage is thought to better penetrate tissues. Tooth root infections are difficult to treat, I've read.

I've also read that successful treatment is really dependent on draining the abscess. ( I'm hoping the dentist will do this procedure without sending me to an oral surgeon.)

Anyway, I hope you can have this infection treated soon. It can be dangerous. Sorry to be scary, but 'they' are finding that these infections can spread....

Crux

Yeah, C. diff. is a possibility. There are anecdotes of people recommending probiotics to prevent that.

I'm getting some mild neuritis, but I used to have stronger side effects, even shingles outbreaks. I think there's been some die off with each course, so there's less infection.

After reading about the dangers of infection spreading, I got scared.

The ME/CFS symptoms get so much worse.... I suspect oral infections are where this began in my case.

I'm glad the zmax is helping. Endodontists are trained to notice the details.

Best to you.

xrayspex

Crux thanks--well I wish I could take the clindamycin if I wasn't so chicken lol

say I also thought of something else I wanted to ask you---you mentioned the bridge maybe causing the trouble/ I have never had one of them but that is one thing I am considering--is just getting it pulled than do a bridge, because its the middle tooth between my last top 3 molars (extraction is a whole 'nuther scary can of worms for me tho because have tricky neck)---or else the apicecotomy (sp?) which is endo's recommendation (altho have never had that before and dont like the idea of cutting so much, sounds risky too)---but anyway, bridges are risky then too for infections and put pressure on other teeth?

What would you do with failed root canal on a tooth with a previous crown they drilled thru to do it--?

unless I wonder if I did enough antibiotics that could fix the root canal that seems to have failed....we didnt do them after the procedure in September.

and what was the significance of "fistula" to you?

and I dont know if the zmax will be enough this time tho......................

and I already do lots of probiotics but am upping my game with cabbage and beet soup and pickled beet juice and eat good yogurt....

sending you the best with yr battle with this dental stuff...I do feel like, other than a very bad spinal injury I had that ties into this--the dental stuff is the WoRsT and wreaks havoc in body

Crux

Apicoectomy....had to look that up. http://www.deardoctor.com/inside-the-magazine/issue-29/apicoectomy/

The experts agree, lol, that it's best to try and save the tooth.
I have no medical knowledge, just poor health, and yucky teeth, but I agree that trying to save the tooth is a good idea.

The procedure doesn't seem too risky to me, and the endodontist is confident. good news.

Extractions, bridges, canals, etc., are all scary, and so painful when done by a practitioner who isn't good. ( I've had this happen.) This last bridge should have been done with implants. They are expensive, but more structural.

I don't know if you are prone to infections? ( I have to admit I am. Parents had bad teeth too.)
It does help to restrict sugar, etc., but I used to avoid abx, now I wish otherwise.

The thing is, I don't get fevers, or high WBC, showing infection.( sometimes pus sometimes not.) Pain is confusing.

A fistula is an unusual passage or channel between areas of tissue. So it could be that the infection has spread and abscessed toward the sinuses. (gross)

I just came off of taking a course of flagyl and penicillin for lung and sinus infection. Tooth felt better for a time, but then went bad. Plus, the root had cracked.

I think I'm a good deal older than you; and you are more careful about seeing good practitioners regularly. Great idea!

xrayspex

hey thanks Crux for your thoughts...and hey I am older than I look (or than Deborah Harry is in the photo lol)
the endo does seem confident and competent but he is very young and I wish he had been around the block more but he has honors and worked in 3rd world countries as part of training so has seen some stuff...but he is super conservative stingey on antibiotics and pain meds because that was his Evidenced based training....fortunately I have other practitioners I can go to in a pinch.........keep me posted