• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibiotic Ketek. Would you?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have been prescribed Ketek - looks nasty and carries a black box warning (according to the internet) nit sure I want to go there really. Has been prescribed in tandem with Lymecycline for Lyme and co infections for three months (initially I imagine)

do you have any experience with it?

whodathunkit

Justy, I attached a file that might help you decide. Sounds like your doc might be using it in an "off-label" way, based on what you said and what's out of the drug guide.

Hope this is a little bit helpful.

Attachments

• telithromycin.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 20

RML

Hi Justy, I have also been prescribed this. My letter with new protocol came in the post the other day. I don't know anything about it to help you sorry. But would be interested to know more about it too.

Ema

I took it last winter for 2 months with no problems. It is one of the more effective drugs against Bartonella.

I thought it was quite effective but I switched back to azithromycin because it has less of an effect on the CYP 3A4 pathway that also metabolizes the steroids I take. I did have to reduce the steroid dose a little while I was on it.

snowathlete

I took it for about three months. I think you need to just be aware of the things to look for if you have a bad reaction but I concluded when I looked into at the time, that it isn't as bad as it is made out. Mind you, I took it for a few months and later (while back on Clarithromycin, I think) got colitis, so...drugs do carry real risks.

I have been prescribed Ketek - looks nasty and carries a black box warning (according to the internet) nit sure I want to go there really. Has been prescribed in tandem with Lymecycline for Lyme and co infections for three months (initially I imagine)

do you have any experience with it?

Hi Justy, i took Ketek for two months about 18mths ago. i can't remember it being any worse than any other antibiotic i took. I see KDM too

girlinthesnow

Hi Justy, had the same experience with it as szenn, just the usual stuff that I get from abx, no where near as awful as Rifampicin which was hellish and another alternative for Bart infections but I'd talk to KDM about it if you're feeling unsure. I don't blindly do what I'm told anymore!