• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti-inflammatory + Immune Booster = Misnomer?

PhoenixBurger

I constantly see things like Turmeric being labeled both anti-inflammatory and immune boosting.

Aren't these opposites? I realize there are different immune chemicals that all do very different things, but I doubt that "Sally the health blogger" is thinking on that deep of a level.

Inflammation is *caused* by immune activity, so the last thing I would think people want is to boost their immune systems?

Martial

well there is the inflammation caused by healing, but also inflammation brought out from disease, using anti inflammatory and immune boosters helps to bring down inflammation enough that the immune system can do its work but you are not so totally inflamed that the pathogens have their own functions going unhindered. It is well known that many of them work in a state of inflammation for growth and survival, shutting down their inflammatory pathways stops growth in its track, while boosting the immune system helps to create a state in which the body can better deal with the rest itself. So inflammation from the immune system, okay fine and well. But there is also the inflammation that is brought from disease in the first place and this is worth reducing to end that vicious cycle.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
There are several interferons the body producers some are inflammatory some aren't. Some immune boosters are said to target the anti inflammatory interferons like immunovir or cycloferon? That's just one example.