• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti-aging effects of coffee

nanonug

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5611980/

Recently, coffee has been recognized as an effective beverage for healthful aging, especially with respect to maladies such as cardiovascular disease [1] and mild cognitive impairment [2]. Moreover, several human studies have revealed that habitual coffee intake reduces the all-cause mortality in Japanese and several other population groups [3,4] and mortality from heart disease and cerebrovascular disease [3]. Coffee contains caffeine and many kinds of polyphenols. Caffeine has several effects on aging, especially through inhibiting the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) complex 1 (mTORC1) and prolonging the life span of fission yeast [5]. Moreover, the polyphenol chlorogenic acid has many beneficial effects, e.g., lowering fat accumulation in diet-induced obese mice by downregulating sterol regulatory element-binding protein 1 [6]. These studies indicate that one of the most consumed beverages, coffee, has potential anti-aging effects that contribute to the prevention of age-related diseases. However, the mechanisms and effects of coffee are not fully understood with respect to aging or age-related diseases.

ljimbo423

Caffeine has several effects on aging, especially through inhibiting the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) complex 1 (mTORC1)

Do we want to inhibit mTOR though with CFS? I'm still confused weather it's better to stimulate mTOR or inhibit it. If I remember right Chris Armstrong showed that AMPK was activated in CFS, which inhibited mTOR.

Any thoughts?

Jim

nanonug

Do we want to inhibit mTOR though with CFS?

Rapamycin is the closest thing we currently have to a "fountain of youth" and it works by inhibiting mTOR. As such, I'm very skeptical of the idea that inhibiting mTOR is a bad thing for people with SEID.

If I remember right Chris Armstrong showed that AMPK was activated in CFS, which inhibited mTOR.

But then we have things like this: mTor Inhibitor Rapamune Helps 5 ME/CFS Patients in Dallas. AMPK activation may simply be a compensatory mechanism from lack of ATP production from carbohydrates (due to pyruvate dehydrogenase complex inhibition.)

ljimbo423

Rapamycin is the closest thing we currently have to a "fountain of youth" and it works by inhibiting mTOR. As such, I'm very skeptical of the idea that inhibiting mTOR is a bad thing for people with SEID.

But then we have things like this: mTor Inhibitor Rapamune Helps 5 ME/CFS Patients in Dallas. AMPK activation may simply be a compensatory mechanism from lack of ATP production from carbohydrates (due to pyruvate dehydrogenase complex inhibition.)

You might be right, it might be better to inhibit it. I need to investigate further. Thanks for the link!