• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anorexia may be caused by bacterial infection, BPS model questioned

whodathunkit

Might have been body dysmorphia.
Yep, that sounds exactly what @rosie26 described. I have mild dysmorphia. It's become plain to me over the years that what I see is not what others see, that's for sure. This was me

never satisfied with how she looks, and is always criticizing her features instead of blaming the dress for a perceived negative effect.
Although I usually kept all the criticism in my head because of the reaction I would get from others when I voiced it.

Mom's got it mildly, too, she was a real fat phobe for a while, so it's probably hereditary to some extent, maybe due to some snps. ;) It never drove me to anorexia (I have the opposite problem, in fact), but when I was thin I was never thin enough. I thought I was a cow. I look at old pictures now and think "Holy crap, I totally *wasted* that!" but c'est la vie, I guess.

rosie26

Might have been body dysmorphia.
Perhaps that was what it was. I think the problem was that I hadn't set a weight to stop dieting and should have.

I think this must happen to some anorexic's, they lose the weight and then don't know when to stop.

Last edited:

rosie26

Yep, that sounds exactly what @rosie26 described. I have mild dysmorphia. It's become plain to me over the years that what I see is not what others see, that's for sure. This was me
It took me a few years to slowly pick up weight again. I enjoy food, so a couple of years after I had lost weight I got a job at a place where they served a lovely meal with a pudding at lunchtime and after a year of tucking into the lunch dinners at work and then having another dinner when I got home. I was roly-poly again for awhile.:lol: I managed to shed it again but I found a good weight that was not to thin or fat and I ate with out dieting, I just kept active.

Richard7

an article on this paper and a genetic study underway in the SMH
http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/its-insane-but-it-just-might-work-20160428-gogy2g.html

"Only 32 per cent of over 2400 Australian study participants to date said they were being monitored by a medical professional, according to the lead Australian ANGI study investigator Professor Nicholas Martin."

Strange, I think this sounds appalling even though I expect that the percentage of people with ME/CFS being monitored by a doctor would be lower, and acknowledge in ME/CFS (and perhaps anorexia nervosa) that that is because the doctors have so little to offer.