• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

annoying case history on Medscape diagnosing CFS

Asa

Late two cents: I worker as a "server", among other positions, at a successful and thus busy restaurant during my early 20s, and though I was in great physical condition and even hiked a good deal, being a server kicked my a** on a regular basis.

So, the likelihood of a 35-year-old woman with "CFS" working as a server seems near absurd to me. Consider too the finance-related stressors of working as a server, as well as other common life experiences by that point in one's life - marriage/divorce, kids/step-kids/pets, rent/mortgage, insurance/taxes/bills... So a person with CFS is going to manage/balance all that plus work a physically-demanding job? :/

And within the restaurant industry in the US at least and for many years, the term "server" has been used, rather than waiter/waitress. Does the author, Medscape editors, or the author's audience have experience with the restaurant industry? ("Write about what you know.")

Additionally, the author (cardiologist) received his (I believe) medical degree from a university in Pakistan. Obviously, people often have differing opinions than what their university advocates, but out of curiosity, does anyone (reading this) know anything about CFS' standing in Pakistan?

I only found a Gideon - Infectious Diseases of Pakistan book (2015) which includes a (short?) mention of ME. (Edit: Prevalence is listed, but a note then states that prevalence numbers were taken from Pakastani "subjects" (??) living in England.)

https://books.google.se/books?id=XvR9BwAAQBAJ&pg=PA259&lpg=PA259&dq=chronic fatigue syndrome pakistan&source=bl&ots=zvlHwVybnZ&sig=pLo6ZuZre-8zNgKWolhtjUzehOQ&hl=sv&sa=X&ei=mytDVYyBH4GasAHgpYCQAg&ved=0CGkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=chronic fatigue syndrome pakistan&f=false

Last edited: