• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ANA a sign of XMRV?

knackers323

Hi all , I was wondering if someone with a bit more knowledge and understanding than myself could tell me if my repeated reading of 1:640 ANA result could be caused by XMRV? no doc has been able to explain it for me (that was before the XMRV news came out). Also would this be something that LDN might be good for? If anyone can help, thankyou very much.

Kati

Patient in training
My ANA titer has been 1:1280 tested 15 years ago and again a couple months ago- speckled pattern. While it is high, my rheumatologist is not concerned about it since some healthy people can have high titers and being insignificant. But who knows?

JT1024

I just did a quick search on ANA testing and wasn't too happy with what I found. Unfortunately, the links I found were not very informative for the average person. You have two extremes... the extremely simplified which tells you nothing or the extremely detailed (but often obsolete) which won't help the average person either. Anything over a 1:40 titer is not normal but is seen with many disease conditions. They should be followed up.... If you have something that would cause a positive ANA, your doctor may not elect to do anything more.

I used to perform ANA testing ~ 25 years ago. Today, the screening is automated and then the positive testing is followed up by a titer and a flourescent antibody test.

More information can be seen here:

http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/article.cfm/theanatesttoday

camas

I've had elevated ANA titers with a speckled pattern as has my mother who has fibromyalgia. Two doctors I saw when I was first ill were convinced that I had lupus, but further testing ruled it out.

It's interesting that up to 15 percent of people with HIV have elevated titers as noted in that article.

G

Gerwyn

My ANA titer has been 1:1280 tested 15 years ago and again a couple months ago- speckled pattern. While it is high, my rheumatologist is not concerned about it since some healthy people can have high titers and being insignificant. But who knows?

i have seen that sort of titre reported in the literature associated with a chronic retrovirus infection HTLV I dont know about a mulv

Kati

Patient in training
Gerwyn will certainly mention it to infectious disease dr when I see her. I don't think here they test for HTLV-1 since anyways there's nothing they will do anyways. I know they test leukemics.