• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amino Acid Disorder (Urine or blood test?)

Hello guys,

I feel like my fatigue may be related actually to some form of a mild amino acid disorder. I have alot of evidence and suspicion to back this up which I won't go into. The NHS is refusing to give me a test for the disorders I think I might have which are:

PKU, Homocystinuria, Tyrosinemia

Anyway I've decided to get a private test but I can only afford either a urine or a blood test.

The blood test doesn't have all the amino acids I want tested so I'm wondering if I do a urine test will it be just as useful in diagonising me with an amino acid disorder???

Thanks for replies.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I don't think it can be PKU. I knew someone with this disorder and my understanding is that it shows up early in childhood and if not treated can be fatal.

And Tyrosinemia also usually in childhood causes either organ failure or developmental delays/intellectual disability. To be honest none of them sound very likely to me.

The thing is there MILD forms of all amino acid disorders. The reason I think I have an amino acid disorder is because I suffer from chronic body odor and as I understand it, from my research, body odor is caused by amino acids being metabolised by bacteria on your skin. I think I have excess amino acids in my body and wish to know if its better for a blood test or urine test?