• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

American Academy of Family Physicians/American Family Physician patient information sheet on CFS

Dolphin

Dolphin

Valentijn

Wow. Do people deliberately bash their heads against walls before writing this sort of crap? Because severe brain damage is the only explanation I can come up with. :ill:

taniaaust1

Whoa.. that's the worst info thing Ive read in a very long time.

what a horrific start .. "Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a disorder that causes you to be very tired. It does not go away with rest."

So in other words.. its trying to push that CFS is all about tiredness with lack of importance put on any of the other symptoms. Even the rest thing is worded bad.. as most find the CFS symptoms improve some with rest even if it may be a long rest (day in bed or whatever).

"Two treatments can help with CFS: cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy"

I'd like to say where is info on how treating symptoms with drugs or whatever can also help. They arent recognising at all that treating symptoms can help eg pain killers for headaches, anti nausea drugs for nausea, etc etc

and as if its just an added after thought.. it ends with "Be sure to tell your doctor about other problems that you are having, such as depression, pain, and trouble sleeping. Your doctor will want to treat these problems too."

"Other" problems??? they are making it sound by that wording that they arent a main part of CFS too.

By the first sentence about it being a disorder which causes tiredness and then ending that paragraph on "Not everyone with CFS has all of these symptoms" after listing just a few symptoms.. the are also giving people the impression that CFS is an illness in which someone is just tired and may not have any other symptoms at all. Nothing about that it is necessarily to have a range of symptoms for one to have CFS.

There needs to be some kind of ME/CFS watchdog group formed which carries powers (legal or whatever) to make sure misleading illness info isnt being put out there. (till something like that happens, I really think we will keep seeing various groups putting out whatever extremely misleading info they'd like).

Just imagine if misleading info was being put out there about other seriousness illnesses, Im sure something would be done about it... I really dont understand how such misleading info is being allowed to constantly be put out. (how is this being stopped as far as other ilness groups go?? Surely some org or something has powers to do something about misleading medical info) . Things are not getting better as far as ME and CFS goes but in fact worst.

I see the journal which published that, at fault too.. it should have an obligation to make sure very misleading medical articles arent being published... can they be held accountable???? for articles making CFS sound to be "chronic fatigue" (which is a completely different condition) and mostly about tiredness rather then an actual symptom complex.

Shell

The question I still can't get to grips with, even with all I've read and heard from Osler's Web to this document is ""WHY" there is so much political shenanagans over ME (and fibro has been dragged into the net too)? Why are the medical/CDC/whoever else, so very focused on trying to undermine any care we need?
Something was wrong before the Tahoe outbreak, but what was it? What made the CDC refuse some doctors requests to investiage and deliberately not investigate when they arrived at Tahoe?
Someone had a lot to lose it seems.

I get Wessley and White. It's a simple money and power thing for them (who knows perhaps sex as well).

Is that what all this is about? money, sex and power? It seems to unimaginative...but then I guess that's what evil is. banal and unimaginative.