• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amalgam Tooth Fillings cause of ME ?

barbc56

Couldn't fit this into reply #80. Please excuse formatting. I could not get it to change.:eek:

Ther Umsch.

2008 Feb;65(2):103-10.

IS AMALGAM A HEALTH HAZARD?
[Article in German]

Göhring TN, Schicht OO, Imfeld T

Source
Klinik für Präventivzahnmedizin, Parodontologie und Kariologie, Zentrum für Zahn-, Mund- und Kieferheilkunde der Universität Zürich. till.goehring@zzmk.uzh.ch
Abstract
Since more than 100 years amalgam is successfully used for the functional restoration of decayed teeth. During the early 1990s the use of amalgam has been discredited by a not very objective discussion about small amounts of quicksilver that can evaporate from the material. Recent studies and reviews, however, found little to no correlation between systemic or local diseases and amalgam restorations in man. Allergic reactions are extremely rare. Most quicksilver evaporates during placement and removal of amalgam restorations. Hence it is not recommended to make extensive rehabilitations with amalgam in pregnant or nursing women. To date, there is no dental material, which can fully substitute amalgam as a restorative material. According to present scientific evidence the use of amalgam is not a health hazard.
(Bold mine)
Barb C.:>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18517065

Ian

But we are talking about minute amounts of mercury.

That's all it takes to cause massive problems. Mercury is one of the toxic non radioactive substances known. You know its banned in quite a few EU countries ? Obviously they came to different conclusions with regards to the science.

jeffrez

quote="jeffrez, post: 279795, member: 677"]

Of course mercury is a bio and neuro toxin. But we are talking about minute amounts of mercury. Read the above article I cited and you will see they are saying that the amount is trivial and you breath most of it out of your mouth. Amagman releasing mercury is not the same as a toxic waste dump which is serious.

One person's common sense is another's nonsense. Just because something “makes sense” doesn't make it necessarily true. You can believe what you want but you can't say your opinion is the same as what the science is showing. Now we could just throw all this science out the window and go back to bloodletting as at one time the procedure did indeed “made sense”.
Barb C.:>)

What seems trivial to one person might be a disaster to someone else.

Let me ask you: how many peanuts can you eat without dying? You're aware that some people can have life-threatening reactions even to a speck of peanut dust in the air, right?

dannybex

dannybex

According to present scientific evidence the use of amalgam is not a health hazard.
(Bold mine)
Barb C.:>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18517065

http://www.mercuryexposure.info/consumers/injured-consumers/item/376-freya-koss-personal-testimonial

Considering the removal of mercury from pet and childhood vaccines, contact lens solution, mercurochrome, thermometers, cars switches, thermostats and blood pressure machines, one must question what possible benefit a poison like mercury provides in the human body. Is the oral cavity the only safe haven for mercury?"

rosie26

My gut feeling tells me it's not amalgam that causes ME, and I did have a lot of amalgam fillings. It feels to me something viral, bacterial, something dormant that has come alive and knocked me down.