Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Always hungry!!

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by lowkey, Feb 23, 2016.

1. lowkey

lowkey

Hey guys,
    I hope you are all doing well given the circumstances. I just have a quick query about hunger? Recently, I have been eating a lot! I will have a smoothie in the morning packed with good stuff. I will have morning tea, a big lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and something after dinner. I will also snack throughout the day. I'm not eating huge portions, and it isn't unhealthy food (mostly). However, even straight after i've eaten a meal, i am hungry again. I am not gaining weight. For context, I am a 20 year old male. 173cm tall, I weight about 60kg and have slim build. Before I was ill I would exercise daily, and have never really eaten this much. Any ideas about what is happening?
    Thanks

2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Pre-ME I always had a very strong hunger drive ("I'm hungry" escaped my lips multiple times a day as my colleague can attest) and so it was hard to keep weight off.

Now I don't have an appetite and so am more concerned about keeping weight on.

I don't know what's happening (obviously), but I think my gut flora may have changed...pure speculation.

3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    @lowkey -- if you're eating but not gaining, that could be:

• hyperthyroid - any anxiety, shakiness, feeling 'on' all the time?
    • parasites - any travel lately?
    Just some ideas -- not to be taken as medical advice, obviously.

-J

4. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Your cortisol may be really high as well.

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    Insulin resistance? A glucose tolerance test with matching insulin levels is one good way to test this.

6. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

@lowkey that happens to me when I'm moving into a relapse/flare-up/crash too.
    The crazy hunger came with the big virus that floored me in 2010, I suddenly wanted two sandwiches instead of one, then my eating almost doubled. It took about 3months of over eating before I started to gain weight, then I ballooned.
    For the first few years when I was in an ME boom and bust cycle I found the hunger goes when in boom and comes with the bust. I now take out of the ordinary hunger as a warning to slow down completely with activities - I think I'm averting massive PEM crashes this way, although that might just be hopeful thinking!

7. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I was always hungry until I cut out gluten and reduced sugar and grains. Now my appetite is normal, probably because I no longer have the blood glucose spikes and troughs caused by too much carbohydrate.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I echo the cutting out sugars and have to be very careful with grains. If I allow sugar spikes it seems to awaken a monster within me that can only be satisfied by carbs.

I was also advised to substitute smoothies (particularly fruit ones) with just eating fruit - obviously some fruit like bananas and grapes are higher in natural sugars than others.

If I have grains/carbs I try to have small portions of wholegrain. Eating a little fat with carbs can also slow down the sugar release.

We are all different so it's worth experimenting - keeping a food diary will give you a good record as to which foods are more likely to leave you feeling hungry later.

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.