• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Always have high Basophils on blood tests

bertiedog

Looking back over the past 11 years I can see that my basophil results are always at the top of the range whereas my neutrophils and lymphocytes are always at the bottom. White blood cell count is also always low.

Would this be an indicator of anything useful that should be addressed?

Thanks

Pam

Gijs

Maybe it has something to do with an allergy? I would contact an allergist if i was you. Good luck!

Learner1

Basophils (also called mast cells) are involved in the allergic reaction. They are capable of phagocytosis of antigen-antibody complexes. Basophils do not respond to bacterial or viral infections. The cytoplasm of basophils contains heparin, histamine, and serotonin. These cells infiltrate the tissue (e.g., hive in the skin) involved in the allergic reaction and serve to further the inflammatory reaction. Parasitic infestations also are capable of stimulating the production of these cells.

Basophil blood concentration is lowest in the morning and highest at night.

Results are increased in:

Ulcerative colitis
Hypothyroidism
Postsplenectomy
Nephrosis
Leukemia

From https://www.ebmconsult.com/articles/lab-test-basophil-count

pattismith

I too have neutophils and lymphocytes at the bottom.
Did you had a lymphocytes B an T (CD4 and CD8) and NK analysis?

I had it done and the result was a low CD8

bertiedog

Did you had a lymphocytes B an T (CD4 and CD8) and NK analysis?

Unfortunately no, just the basic NHS full blood count test.

Dr Myhill says on her site that thee findings are common in her ME patients. She linked high basophils to allergy but it isn't obvious with me what I am allergic to as I don't have obvious allergic symptoms. I have always had since the 90s quite high histamine in my blood so maybe this is causing high basophils?

Pam