• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative Ways of Administering High Dose Vitamin B12

Lotus97

I have been trying B12 lozenges as suppositories, with some aloe vera gel to help it on its merry way.

One day when I forgot to take one I did notice feeling worse, which seems promising.

However, particularly after switching to Jarrow B12, I get quite a bit of pink mucous and sometimes bloating. I don't know if it is just the unabsorbed portion or a reaction to the additives. Would mucous significantly reduce the absorption or is it to be expected?

That happened to me, but with a different brand and it wasn't pink (I'm assuming the Jarrow one is pink unless there was some minor bleeding which is certainly possible). I'm guessing (at least for me) it is just some byproduct of the sublingual although I don't know what's going on in your case.

I have been using fredds b12 protocol for about 2 months now and have made some good improvements. But holding a sublingual under my lounge for 2+ hours wasn’t practice. So I thought about some better ways to administer the active b12’s.
Here’s what I do. Crush the b12 sublinguals into a powder using a small mortar and pestle, add a little bit of water, suck it up with an oral syringe, stick it up the rectum and squirt it. Its easy as, fantastic method. If you don’t use the bathroom for a bit, all the liquid gets absorbed fairly quickly. Never had any problems. I think the absorption must be very high.

Recently I have ben crushing the sublingual and snorting it. I think this method gives me the best mental energy. It burns, but it’s worth it.
I think these two methods fantastic.

Lotus97

I have been using fredds b12 protocol for about 2 months now and have made some good improvements. But holding a sublingual under my lounge for 2+ hours wasn’t practice. So I thought about some better ways to administer the active b12’s.
Here’s what I do. Crush the b12 sublinguals into a powder using a small mortar and pestle, add a little bit of water, suck it up with an oral syringe, stick it up the rectum and squirt it. Its easy as, fantastic method. If you don’t use the bathroom for a bit, all the liquid gets absorbed fairly quickly. Never had any problems. I think the absorption must be very high.

Recently I have ben crushing the sublingual and snorting it. I think this method gives me the best mental energy. It burns, but it’s worth it.
I think these two methods fantastic.
How are you able to hold a sublingual under your tongue for so long?

I mean sublinguals. When the first one or two dissolve put a few more in. I break them in quarters put some up the gum and some under the tongue for 2h.

Lotus97

Recently I've been dissolving Perque's Hydroxocobalamin in my nasal spray bottle. Any idea what the absorption rate would be. At first I was thinking it would be similar to snorting it, but now I'm not so sure. If you snort the powder it stays in your nasal cavity for a period of time, but with the nasal spray it drips down pretty quickly. I've only been using around 500-750 mcg per 1 oz bottle which takes at least a few days to finish so maybe my dosage is too low. I was afraid of taking too much B12, but now I think I'm being too cautious.

Hip

I found that when I put B12 hydroxocobalamin drops (1000 mcg per drop) directly my my nasal cavity — which you can do easily just by arching your back and looking right up at the ceiling, then dropping the drops in your nasal cavity with a pipette — I could fit a maximum of around 3 drops per cavity. Any more than 3, and it would run down the back of my throat.

But this is OK; if you have a B12 liquid with 1000 mcg per drop, then that's around 6000 mcg in total.

Suppository is a simultaneously excellent and crappy method of methyl-B12 delivery (very slow and prolonged, and you don't lose any of it unless you pass solids) and it has also convinced me from the subjective reactions I get that the Methyl-B12 (and metafolin) react on contact with mercury vapor in the mouth.

Also (this is not the thread I wanted to post it in, but I can't remember where it was that I wanted to insert the reply) calcium folinate is (again from subjective experience and pattern observation) the most potent folate booster and equally potent methyl-thief.

Whether it's bad or good for you would, I imagine, depend on the particular homeostatic equilibrium your body is at at present. It wreaks havoc on me, bringing my neurological 'weirdness' and motor tics into overdrive more than any other substance.

Last edited:
I signed up to post this, I put a Methyl B12 5000 sublingual from Now Foods (warning: contains folic acid, do not use if sensitive to it! - I used that because it's the only one I had on hand) inside a folded napkin, smashed it a bit with a meat hammer, put the powder inside a small tea cup and mixed it there with a rather small amount of moisturizing cream, applied that on both arms, spread it around and then waited.

The result was much, much better than a sublingual usage (even upper lip) came slower than a sublingual would, lasted for hours (I think) and as intensity is concerned, it was much "stronger" than keeping it under the upper lip for one hour - and it didn't burn my gums.

I judge the intensity based on a very specific sensation that I have in my lower legs when methylcobalamin is "working", it's like tiny electrical discharges above the ankle area. That came at about one hour after applying the cream, followed by generally more muscle strength. I had some other energy bursts a few hours later.

I have to mention that at this point I had _zero_ effect from using those pills as they were intended, even if I was keeping them for 1+ hours in my mouth, however this worked for me, I'm gonna try it with Enzy but I don't have them on hand.

The cream I used was Oriflame Essentials Moisturizer Concentrate, it has the following ingredients, I don't know if it matters, I chose it simply because I had it around the house, for no other reason:

AQUA, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM, GLYCERIN, PETROLATUM, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, DIMETHICONE, PEG-2 STEARATE, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER, CETYL ALCOHOL, CARBOMER, PHENOXYETHANOL, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, PARFUM, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, NIACINAMIDE, ETHYLPARABEN, SODIUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, PYRIDOXINE HCL, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, SILICA

The light pink powder turns much brighter and darker when mixed and the result might contain small clumps that come from whatever else is in the pill that keeps it together, it's some sort of membrane but if you can ignore that, this is the best bang/buck/pill I ever got in terms of both strength and duration.

I think b12 is water soluble so it should work with anything that has water and is supposed to be absorbed by the skin.

Will report back, since this is just my 2nd day of doing this. Another patient tried it (didn't know about the upper lip method) and reported a state of mental clarity never achieved before by using the tablets under the tongue.

It's not pretty, it just works.

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me of this thread. Seems I last wrote about the suppository method... however I no longer recommend that, i think it has caused issues with my prostate.

I have tried making my own solution with dmso+a m12 tablet then straining through some filter paper, the effect is the most potent of any delivery method i've tried. However it also requires frequent application to continue feeling the effect. ZudZud, do you know if dissolving it in a cream would make the delivery more slow and gradual?

I feel it's slower and more gradual, yes. I don't know how it compares to the sprays, those could be superior - and easier to use.

I suppose it depends how much cream you use and how large the skin surface you apply it on is, it's my understanding from reading this forum that methylcobalamin is not that stable so it probably degrades over a period of time rendering it useless. I'm going to keep taking it like this for a while.

ahmo

@ZudZud I've been doing something similar. I'm now using Bluebonnet liquid 5000mcg drops, less than a full dropperful, and *mixing* it in my palm before slapping it onto my arm or leg. My creme is something I make, including shea and cocoa butters, olive and almond oils. I've been doing this for about 3 months, very happy.

I feel it's slower and more gradual, yes. I don't know how it compares to the sprays, those could be superior - and easier to use.

I suppose it depends how much cream you use and how large the skin surface you apply it on is, it's my understanding from reading this forum that methylcobalamin is not that stable so it probably degrades over a period of time rendering it useless. I'm going to keep taking it like this for a while.

Well, it degrades in contact with light. When I was making a DMSO solution I used amber bottles, which are supposed to block UV light, but I don't know if it's enough to stop it degrading.

I've tried mixing a tablet in some glutathione cream I have, I can feel it working. Not as acute as the DMSO solution though.

I wish I could source some of the pure stuff rather than have to grind up a tablet and risk absorbing the binders and flavorings as well. If anyone has managed to get hold of it feel free to send me a message. I've seen places on aliexpress that might sell it but when they put "cyanocobalamin" in the title and "methylcobalamin" in the description field it doesn't inspire trust.

The reason I purchase well known brands from big online stores is that I hope they actually test what's in the pills and they have a reputation to defend. If I had any way of testing the bulk stuff, then I would consider trying it, otherwise I wouldn't touch it because I don't want to risk getting worse. And from the threads here, even big brands have issues with sourcing quality b12.

I though taking glutathione directly might not be a good idea and it's better for it to be made by the body.

The reason I purchase well known brands from big online stores is that I hope they actually test what's in the pills and they have a reputation to defend. If I had any way of testing the bulk stuff, then I would consider trying it, otherwise I wouldn't touch it because I don't want to risk getting worse. And from the threads here, even big brands have issues with sourcing quality b12.

I though taking glutathione directly might not be a good idea and it's better for it to be made by the body.

I would guess it's circumstantial like most things. If there's one home truth you can rely on it's that you can't rely on people to have unanimous reactions to things. Where did you read that it is bad to take it and what was the reasoning?

I hadn't actually been taking the cream since I received no positive effects from it (or even negative effects if I hadn't bathed very recently--I sweat out a lot of mercury). After grinding 50mg methylcobalamin with a pestal and mortar and mixing it into the cream with some water and smearing it over my arms, chest and legs, I'm suddenly leaping into action again.

Ah. Well there are experiences that run counter to that as well. In fact I think I've read of people who deliberately seek to increase their glutathionylcobalamin levels. It has a biological role. It all comes down to the individual. It could be disastrous for some as it was for Freddd, but I haven't been able to reproduce all of his experiences.

If you want to play it safe with glutathione I suggest supplementing choline, methionine, l-serine and then b-vitamins (including restoration of b12 levels). This will give the body what it needs to produce glutathione at no greater a pace than it processes folates/recycles methionine (except accounting for dietary protein, and glutamine availability).

Update on the cream testing:

I need to try this with another brand since results are very inconsistent from day to day (but so is my reaction to using the pills in my mouth) and I need to reduce the variables.

The skin on my hands is also really hydrated, I'm concerned that using this daily might result in less absorption over time.

Mixing the smashed pill with a few drops of water really well before adding to cream has better results. Mixing things directly in my hands results in a lot of the dust to remain on my palms because of the texture of the palms, so I think it's better to mix it in a small cup first (I'm using a chinese ~100ml tea cup).

Thinking about improvising a patch but not quite there yet. I'm not sure that the body sweat alone would be enough to dissolve + absorb enough of the methylb12 if I just keep it pressed on the skin for a long enough period of time.

I'm testing something that involves plastic food wrap...

Last edited:
The cream continued to work for me, however I messed it up by adding an unwanted degree of methylfolate (quatrefolic) to the mix. In the process of looking for ingredients to make a new batch I found a source of pure methylcobalamin in water on amazon. I'm going to just buy this and some coconut oil, maybe add a bit of dmso to the mix and see how that goes. Might need to buy surficants and/or emulsifiers to make it work but the less I have to buy the better.