• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative SOS foods

Thought I'd share a few potato/root veg substitutes that are from Asia, Africa and the Carribean, in case they might help anyone who like me can't tolerate many foods or grains. A friend helped me find them when I was really struggling and losing weight badly, I'd never eaten anything from the same food family as any of them before so tolerated them fine.

Here they are:

Edoes This is a great all rounder. Peel, cut into large cubes, par boil for 1 mins and freeze. Defrost and add to casseroles or soups. Also tasty roasted, chipped or mashed.

Yam Peel, cut into large cubes, par boil for 1 mins and freeze. Another great all rounder. Use as above.

Coe Coe Yam Peel, cut into large cubes, par boil for 8 mins and freeze. Defrost, dice this small and add to casseroles and soups.

Arvi Peel, leave whole, par boil for 8 mins and freeze. Defrost, cut into small cubes for roasting, or slice and fry. (Arvi are sometimes called Arbi).

I manage to get hold of most of these online, but in a large city with a multicultural community at least some of them should be easy enough to find. They can all be used fresh but I usually buy them in bulk and get then prepared for freezing, then defrost what I need each time.

Warning: They're life savers but not anything like as cheap as good old potatoes or a nice crusty loaf of bread!

Timaca

Hmmmmm.......The only one I've heard of is yam. I tend to use sweet potatoes (sometimes called yams in the grocery store) as my main source of calories. I can also eat rice. So far, other grains haven't worked for me, but I keep trying! :) I cook my sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot. Ditto for the rice.

Thanks for posting your suggestions! I am one of those that fall into the multiple food intolerance category!

Best,

sarah darwins

Nice post, rosieness. I'm gluten-free and always looking for convenient fill-up foods.

I'll throw plantains into the mix, too. Quick and easy to cook and distinctly tasty.

OkRadLakPok

Thank you for this. I cannot eat much now either. I live off protein bars and Orgain. I have to buy a Vitamix because the bars are $3 a piece. I had to eat like 5 in one day! I lost a lot of weight, too.
I so totally hate food. It makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it.
I told my mom it is like being forced to eat dog poop 3 times a day. I can't even stand to think about it.

I didn’t know whether to expect any responses from this, so thanks all.

Timaca, I didn’t know Sweet potatoes are sometimes called yams, the yams I’m thinking of aren't sweet potatoes though. I buy Puna Yam, Ghana Yam, White Yam and French Yam, depending which I can get. All good. The instant pot has given me an idea.

Thanks for throwing plantains into the mix, sarah. Will give them a go. I don't have many foods that fit into the quick, easy, tasty category!

OkRadLacPok, I’m sorry to hear about your struggle with food. I remember a time when food felt like a poison to me, so I empathise with you and really hope things soon improve.

Two books have been a lifeline for me: Allergy Free Eating: Key to the Future by Liz Reno, and The Rotation Diet Cookbook by Alison Carter and Jill Edwards. I can’t say I’ve tried many of the recipes though, I mostly use them as a resource for information, and ideas for alternative foods and food combinations.

I can’t eat gluten or rice but can now tolerate quite a few non gluten grains like quinoa, buckwheat, teff and kamut - on a long rotation. After many moons I’m now less sensitive and able to tolerate more foods. I start with just a tiny little bit and build up, keeping them on strict rotation.