• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

aloe vera plant

gumman123

Aloe plant contains a good amount of minerals (30-50mg manganese per 100g in gel), vitamins, accemannan; which is good for cancer, and all 8 essential sugars aka amino sugars/glyconutrients. It is sold as a juice, gel or Bunnings Australia sells whole plants. I will be trying juice, gel, and buying, and blending whole leaves to see which is best. Search google scholar for tons fo studies on it.

Wishful

I think 'essential sugars' are most essential to supplement suppliers' profit margins. A quick googling doesn't show up any peer-reviewed papers about them. It seems to be yet another misapplication of scientific discoveries (sugars that are essential to cell functions) being used by marketers to sell books, articles, and supplements as 'essential parts of a healthy diet'.

Maybe something in aloe vera will help you. I'm not sure whether it's more likely than finding something in dandelions, earthworms, or any other organism. Since no one knows what causes ME, no one knows what is helpful or harmful for ME victims.

I do welcome reports on the results of other people's experiments with various substances and techniques. Aloe vera, or anything else, isn't of much use until it's been proven to be effective.

gumman123

The correct term for essential sugars is amino sugars or amino glycans as they are monosaccharides with an amine group on one of the carbons instead of a hydroxyl. Every single cell is covered by an enormous amount of what looks like hairs which are glycoproteins/glyconutrients needed for cell to cell communication, immune function and a host of other enormously important functions. Glycoconjugates are proteins/lipids/other molecules with amino glycans in them such as the blood molecule transferrin which carries iron/copper/manganese around the blood. At least 50% of all proteins in the body are glyco proteins. There is 8 amino sugars /essential sugars which googling will show their names. it was thought we can make all from glucose but some evidence suggests we cant make some of them like mannose. Aloe Vera is high in mannose.

A review on it but no mineral content analysis

http://sci-hub.tw/https://doi.org/10.1080/10590500600614303

Aloe Vera is natures medicine plant intended for all conditions. Everyone should have some juice/gel/a plant in their house.

There are 1000s of studies on Aloe Vera, and it has been used as medicinally plant since time began.

Wishful

No, nature didn't create any plants as specific human cure-alls. Plants evolved to produce various compounds for protection. Some of those compounds just happen to be useful for humans.

gumman123

yes nature created plants for cure alls. big pharma hates those plants so tried to dis credit them. they are in the business of making sickness and misery then profiting from it.

gumman123

Yep. I just had some juice, and gel, and will buy a plant today, and experiment with eating the leaf, and extracting the gel. This guy has a good video on it

it looks like all the minerals/glyconutrients/good stuff is in the gel not the juice

gumman123

it says on the bottle I have "extracted from the inner leaf of mature plants". in the nutritional information it says sodium 1.8mg / 100ml. per the studies it has a lot more sodium than that which means the juice does not contain the bulk of the minerals. must be the gel. they sell the gel at chemists intended for applying on the skin but i ate some. it has a few other things mixed in with it too but they are naturally occurring so non harmful. some websites sell 99% pure gel. buying the whole plant might be a more economical way to get the gel

gumman123

Most of the minerals are in the rind/leaf not in the gel so better off eating the whole thing

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9750672B1/en

Althoughaloeis commonly used as a source for medicaments, the outer leaf or rind is usually considered to be waste or a by-product and is typically disposed of or used as compost. Although there are some “whole leaf”aloeproducts,aloerind is not commonly used inaloebased products and its presence in the whole leaf product is commonly a matter of convenience for processing rather than for any benefit that the rind could provide. After detailed testing using ICP/mass spectrometry it has been discovered thataloerind contains a rich source of calcium and.Aloerind also contains other trace minerals that can act as co-factors and aid with the body's absorption and utilization of these minerals. These additional trace minerals include, for example, phosphorus, potassium, and strontium. The present invention is directed to a composition derived fromaloerind for use as a dietary supplement of topical composition. The invention is also a method for preparing the inventive compositions.

gumman123

well actually further down it has analysis of the gel and there are lots of minerals in that

times by 50 to get per 100g

TABLE 3
Trace Elements Present in Aloe Vera Leaf Gel Ash (from Rajasekeran et al., 2005)

Elements Concentration of elements (mg/2g)

Iron 3.5

Copper 0.15

Calcium 0.141

Zinc 0.378

Manganese 0.631

Lead 0.138

Chromium 0.146

Vanadium 0.32

Potassium 0.397

Sodium 0.162

Magnesium 0.157

ugh im just going to buy the whole plant and eat it.

Wolfcub

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Aloe Vera didn't contain some quite underestimated anti-inflammatory substance.
It is well known to be helpful for gut irritation/ulcers.gastritis (some cases of IBS? I think so) among other things.

I haven't tried it as a juice or gel to drink,myself, but have definitely found it heals burns rapidly. I had not thought (yet) of trying it as a systemic anti-inflammatory but that may well be on my agenda soon.

I do feel that inflammation is a large part of CFS. I know that is a sweeping statement as there are many facets of CFS and not all understandable, so do forgive my naivety.

jesse's mom

I live in an area where Aloe plants just grow and we give them to each other, it DOES work on burns and the asian stores have sold the gels and drinks all my life. Most everyone drinks it for an upset stomach here. It just seems to be common knowledge in some parts of the world that this plant soothes humans. I do listen to the wisdom of the elders.

Another bit of wisdom from my grandmother, and her grandmother is if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

My problem is....someone once gave me this teensy-weensy Aloe plant and told me it was Aloe Vera. Gradually that plant grew big and produced offspring. I carefully tended the babies, putting them in pots of their own. They grew up and did what comes naturally, and the story of Aloe plants and pots went on....
Now I have their great-great-great-great grandchildren, and they are taking over my house.
It is like Day of the Triffids in here.

I never thought to take that first one to the vet and get it neutered.... (ooops!):rofl:

Meanwhile, years back now, someone else told me that they aren't Aloe Vera but another type of Aloe and shouldn't be eaten.
I never can tell the difference when I look at pictures.
I haven't ever used mine for medicine/burns. I used someone else's for burns once. I couldn't even tell the difference when a friend gave me a quarter leaf to try on my burned finger.

I would like to be able to eat them thus reducing numbers....(is that the meanest thing I've ever said??):aghhh::nervous::jaw-drop:

Shoshana

Northern USA
I don't know if I wished I lived near you, or not, after reading that post, @Wolfcub ;):D

I would have to take a few.... or a dozen, or so.... :lol::rofl:

But oh yes, I DO know , that I wish I did. :thumbsup:
It would be worth it to me.
Even though you would likely hand me a couple of them, as I lefted, after each time I stopped by to see you. :)