• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Almost 10 Months Since Infection

Hi all,

After reading over many of the forum threads, I have some questions for anyone that may have a similar experience as me. After my initial infection 10 months ago (mononucleosis), I am still plagued with a strange sense of mental fatigue (spiritual loss), post nasal drip, headaches, and the tinnitus which started about a month ago.

Being 21 years old, it confuses me that I may have CFS, which my doctors are telling me is a likely possibility. My ENT couldn't find any infections that may be causing my post nasal drip and brown mucus at the back of my throat. I do not have sore throats, swollen lymph nodes, and physically I am not completely wrecked, though I cannot compete in sports as I used to as a college athlete.

If I had CFS wouldn't I be completely drained from being able to do much of anything (I still don't go to the gym because I feel that sets my symptoms back a bit)?

I also seem emotionally blunted now. As in, I don't feel depressed, nor happy most of the time. I seem to have lost my spiritual sense if that makes sense (Is this just mental fatigue?). This is probably what bothers me the most! There's another thread similar to this, but I thought I should bring it up anyways. Anybody experience this?

Do I sound vaguely similar to what a CFS diagnosis would be? Or do you think I am an over-reactor who just hasn't passed the initial infection?

Thoughts?

Waverunner

Hi aussie,

CFS seems to be a very heterogeneous disease because we cannot differentiate between subgroups. Some persons with CFS are bed-bound, others are only fatigued and can still do some sport. The problem is, that as long as we don't have a clear diagnostic test, that is not based on symptoms, CFS is the disease-net for all patients, who cannot be diagnosed with another disease. Suffering from cognitive/emotional/mental imbalances or losing the spiritual way, as you put it nicely, perfectly fits into the picture. If you suffered from EBV, you probably could try some Valtrex. I don't think, that you are an over-reactor.

Valentijn

aussie777
You might have ME/CFS or you might just have Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome. I'm not sure there's any easy way to differentiate, but since you've only been sick 10 months, and you're male, and you're young, you have a decent shot at recovery.

The main criteria for ME/CFS would be that you need to have Post-Exertional Malaise. With your limitations in activities, and physical symptoms, it certainly might be ME/CFS. In my case it took about a year for my swollen lymph nodes and sore throat to appear. Now my right tonsil is always swollen, though it varies a bit sometimes.

The main thing you can do is not push your limitations at this point. If some activity makes you feel worse, don't do it! You can be pretty functional and still have ME - but pushing limits at that point can result in becoming far less functional.

If the headache is a constant feeling of pressure, 2-3 grams per day of EPA/DHA fish oil might help a lot. It takes about a day to start working, but keeps my headache away unless I stop taking it.

Yes I also still have red and swollen tonsils. The post exertion fatigue seems to be very hard to notice- I've noticed that after exercise my brain fog gets "heavier", and I get more congested, but that's it.

I'll try the fish oil, I've been inconsistent with taking that specifically.