• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

allergies vs mast cell problems

ebethc

I've tested negative to allergies and positive to MCAS.. my mast cell problems become WAY worse during allergy season, and my doc hypothesized that ANY particulate matter triggers a response... ie, it's not the pollen antigen that stimulate histamine release, it's the fact that there are billions of tiny particles in the air that are stimulating histamine release (and other mast cell chemicals, like leukotrienes..) I react horribly to other particles (namely pollution, but anything that's dry and flies through the air)..

My questions:

1) What is the mechanism of action for the release of mast cell chemicals (degranulation) if IgE antigens & antigen receptors are not in play?

2) I don't know much about arachidonic acid, but I know that it's linked to lipid metabolism and Maureen Hanson is working on lipid metabolism as it relates to CFS... Does anyone know if she is interested in Mast Cell disease?

Here's the diagram that I'm looking at for reference:
https://www.slideteam.net/catalog/product/gallery/id/38214/image/282615/