• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allergic reaction to methylfolate

I recently increased my methylfolate from 200 mcg to 800 mcg. It was going really well for about a week. My energy, focusing, and sleeping all improved. I'm not sure whether it helped my muscles or not since I recently had an improvement in this area by getting acupuncture treatments (before starting the increased methyfolate).

For the past few days, my throat has felt strangely constricted, especially when I lay down. This feeling has increased, and is bothering me more each day....so I got online today and found that one of the allergic reactions to methylfolate is a swollen throat. Looking back to my smaller doses, I now realize that I commented to my husband that my breathing felt "different" while we were hiking last month.

So, what's a person to do when the methylfolate actually seems to be helping, but now must discontinue due to this allergic reaction?

richvank

I recently increased my methylfolate from 200 mcg to 800 mcg. It was going really well for about a week. My energy, focusing, and sleeping all improved. I'm not sure whether it helped my muscles or not since I recently had an improvement in this area by getting acupuncture treatments (before starting the increased methyfolate).

For the past few days, my throat has felt strangely constricted, especially when I lay down. This feeling has increased, and is bothering me more each day....so I got online today and found that one of the allergic reactions to methylfolate is a swollen throat. Looking back to my smaller doses, I now realize that I commented to my husband that my breathing felt "different" while we were hiking last month.

So, what's a person to do when the methylfolate actually seems to be helping, but now must discontinue due to this allergic reaction?

Hi, therron.

You might want to consider the possibility that your constricted throat is caused by a rise in sulfite. That is one of the symptoms of sulfite toxicity, and some people who stimulate their methylation cycle do develop sulfite toxicity. Some have been helped by supplementing molybdenum, at up to 500 micrograms per day. Molybdenum forms a cofactor for the sulfite oxidase enzyme, which converts sulfite to sulfate.

Best regards,

Rich

dannybex

Hi Therron,

I don't know if I'm dealing with the same issue, but for the last 3-4 days I've felt at times like my throat is constricted, like there's a lump in my throat, and have only done two things differently -- increased my dose of methylfolate -- and also stopped most of my digestive enzymes as I'm doing a CDSA parasite stool test. I don't feel it all the time, but I guess will try increasing the molybdenum (I did run out a couple of days ago?)...and see what happens.

Also -- I've been eating more sulfur foods the past week to 10 days.

Are you doing any better?

Dan

p.s. Yes, thanks Rich for the info.

Hi Dannybex
I backed off to 400 mcg methylfolate which is still above my prior dose. My throat is still a bit constricted, but it is definitely easing (I also have a sore nodule in my neck area which became aggravated at the same time). I just got my molybdenum drops today, so I will let you know how that goes. I've never taken molybdenum before. I am super sensitive to all supplements, so I'm starting at one drop per day. I too, am sometimes sensitive to sulfur (I'm not sure why it fluctuates, but it seems to coincide with a rise in histamines. I'm also confused about why my histamine periodically rises. When I go through these waves, my sleep is greatly interrupted until things calm down. My best guess about the histamine issue this time around was a rise in raw vegetables and fruits (so sad not to be able to eat the beautiful organic nectarines from my tree. Perhaps someday.) Keep me posted on how you are doing. We seem to have similar reactions in several areas. I wonder if there are others who have used molybdenum for constricted throat (sulfite) issues, and how it worked.