• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on ME - August 22nd update

charles shepherd

All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on ME - August 22nd update

Following this year’s general election, none of the parliamentarians (with the exception of the Countess of Mar (pictured)), wanted to stand for re-election of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for M.E., and given the considerable challenges that it presents, neither the ME Association or Action for M.E. are able to commit further time and resources to providing the joint Secretariat.

These issues have been discussed at the most recent meeting of Forward-M.E. – and in conversations before and after – where it was decided that our collective time and resources could be better spent on engaging with MPs and peers individually, and also as a collaborative voice through Forward-ME.

Forward-ME Statement:

All Party Parliamentary Group on M.E. update and next steps >>

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...l-now-be-via-forward-me-group-22-august-2017/

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

trishrhymes

Sad that no MP's are willing to take an interest in ME by joining a group, but not really surprising. (does this mean the MAIMES campaign is ineffective - I though they had signed up lots of MPs?)

Thank you @charles shepherd and the Countess of Mar for trying to keep it going.

I wonder whether there is any possibility that MPs who are members of the Health Select Committee could be particularly approached. (I guess you've already thought of that).

charles shepherd

Sad that no MP's are willing to take an interest in ME by joining a group, but not really surprising. (does this mean the MAIMES campaign is ineffective - I though they had signed up lots of MPs?)

Thank you @charles shepherd and the Countess of Mar for trying to keep it going.

I wonder whether there is any possibility that MPs who are members of the Health Select Committee could be particularly approached. (I guess you've already thought of that).

We have lots of MPs who were members of the pre-election APPG on ME

The problem is finding a core group who are willing to take on the key officer roles (which the Secretariat obviously cannot fill) and play an active role in all aspects of running an APPG

The current situation, following the general election, is that we again have a list of MPs who we know have been helpful to constituents in writing letters about ME/CFS, assisting with benefit claims etc - but we don't have this core group who really want to get stuck in

If the situation changes, which it could, there isn't a major problem in setting up an APPG on ME again - all the constitutional details are sitting there for use if necessary

We just want to be certain, if we have another go, that we are going to be helping to run a meaningful APPG on ME

CS