• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ALA in Freddd's protocol

Eastman

If the mb12 is pushing mercury into the brain as I suspect, I wouldn't call it detox.

But IMD looks interesting. I'll look into it further.

Thanks aquariusgirl.

kyzcreig

According to Andrew Cutler, it's a bad idea to take ALA on a non-frequent dose schedule if you have mercury. Once or twice a day is not often enough. The amount in the typical ALA pill (100mg) is way too much for starting out. R-ALA is not a good form of ALA to take.

ALA is a mercury chelator. If you take it at intervals longer that it's half life, it will pull out some mercury, but then it will get redistributed again, causing various symptoms.

Basically, if you try this, and you have mercury, you may get worse.

I have personal experience with this happening.

See my signature link for info on Andrew Cutler frequent dose chelation and how to test for mercury.

Which form of ALA does Cutler recommend? I'm using R-ALA right now and it makes me feel terrible even at low doses.

Eastman

@bigmillz, @caledonia, @garyfritz, @Johnmac, @aquariusgirl, @kyzcreig

I am tagging all of you who contributed to this thread in case you are interested in what Lolinda just wrote about alpha lipoic acid and its effect on B vitamins. If you have no interest in this, my apologies.

And for garyfritz in particular, who seems to have a high need for B12, I'm reposting this excerpt from an article by Dr Derrick Lonsdale:

Many years ago I was confronted by the case of a six-year-old child who had been suffering from an extraordinarily common problem for approximately two years. He would develop a sore throat, fever and swollen glands in the neck... his diet was appalling, full of sugar, so I had a blood test performed that showed that he was vitamin B1 deficient. But there was another strange association. Folate, a B vitamin and vitamin B12, also a B vitamin, both had very high concentrations in the blood...

...Because of the sugar association and the finding of vitamin B1 deficiency, I treated the child with megadoses of thiamine (vitamin B1) and sent him home. To my great surprise, not only did his health improve drastically, his feverish episodes ceased and the repeat of the blood tests showed that the levels of folate and vitamin B12 had fallen into the normal range.

caledonia

@bigmillz, @caledonia, @garyfritz, @Johnmac, @aquariusgirl, @kyzcreig

I am tagging all of you who contributed to this thread in case you are interested in what Lolinda just wrote about alpha lipoic acid and its effect on B vitamins. If you have no interest in this, my apologies.

And for garyfritz in particular, who seems to have a high need for B12, I'm reposting this excerpt from an article by Dr Derrick Lonsdale:

Freddd suggests using ALA with his protocol. I have a caution about that on my methylation blog page (accessed by my signature link). The caution is because ALA is also a chelator and if you don't take it on a frequent dose schedule, it will redistribute the metals and make you worse.

The vitamin B thing is another reason.

I've been doing rounds of ALA dosed every few hours per the Cutler protocol. I haven't noticed any issues with B vitamins, however, I'm only doing very small doses of ALA (about 60mg total per round).

I do get an increase in energy while on round as discussed on the other thread that you linked to.

It would be good to know what sort of ALA levels are required to induce the B vitamin deficiency. Like normal people levels, say up to 100-300mg, or something beyond that?

Eastman

It would be good to know what sort of ALA levels are required to induce the B vitamin deficiency. Like normal people levels, say up to 100-300mg, or something beyond that?

That would be good to know, but it will probably be different for different people. That variation would be on top of ALA's different effects on people from heavy metal chelation.

Also, Learner1 has a recent post on ALA in case you haven't seen it.