• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Akathisia

confetti11

I just ran across the definition of this word by googling restlessness and neurotransmitters. I have a near-constant uneasy feeling marked by a sensation (malaise, nervous sensation) in my torso and shoulder areas and subsequent uneasiness/nausea.

During the day, I often can't rest, and on my worst days, I count the minutes until evening time when I usually feel better. Many times, I can sleep (even though I wake up periodically) but then when I wake up in the morning, I can hardly lay there peacefully because of the restlessness.

The severity varies, but right now, it's present every day. And it's debilitating.

This was not initiated by any SSRI or similar drug. I'm on many supplements now, but I think this feeling was the original sensation that took me down the road of CFS, adrenal dysfunction, etc. and the subsequent treatments.

Is anyone knowledgeable about this topic? Is it caused by levels of dopamine?

Last edited:
I also have this and it is truly awful! Especially when ME and adrenal fatique demands rest. Unfortunately I have not found anything that helps besides temporary lying on a nail math.

confetti11

I just found this thread again. I wanted to update that this was seemingly solved for me by addressing hormonal issues. I'm going through menopause (officially-blood test confirms since my last post in June) and as soon as I started estrogen replacement (compounded by my doctor), the insane restlessness, sleep disturbances and hot flashes went away pretty quickly. Just fyi.

I just ran across the definition of this word by googling restlessness and neurotransmitters. I have a near-constant uneasy feeling marked by a sensation (malaise, nervous sensation) in my torso and shoulder areas and subsequent uneasiness/nausea.

During the day, I often can't rest, and on my worst days, I count the minutes until evening time when I usually feel better. Many times, I can sleep (even though I wake up periodically) but then when I wake up in the morning, I can hardly lay there peacefully because of the restlessness.

The severity varies, but right now, it's present every day. And it's debilitating.

This was not initiated by any SSRI or similar drug. I'm on many supplements now, but I think this feeling was the original sensation that took me down the road of CFS, adrenal dysfunction, etc. and the subsequent treatments.

Is anyone knowledgeable about this topic? Is it caused by levels of dopamine?

Hi Confetti, thank you for sharing - just wondering if this problem is still resolved for you and you are free of the restlessness? Ive had really severe episodes recently and desperately searching for answers.