• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Air purifiers for removing VOC's - looking for suggestions

zoe.a.m.

I have the IQ Air Plus purifier (I think that's its name) which has 3 filtration systems and one is for VOCs. I am highly chemically sensitive and was not bothered by the plastic smells of this unit for more than a day once unpacked. I see they now have a more expensive serious VOC model on the market too. I have a lot of faith in this company as, when in doubt, go with something European, is my thinking.

One thing to remember with any purifier and VOCs is that the VOC filter will be used up very quickly if you have a particular situation like paint off-gassing for instance. I put my unit into a low-VOC painted room a week before I was moving in and noticed that the filter would inevitably make my place smell like quasi-paint fumes after being on a while. At first I thought I was imagining it, but I called the company and got confirmation that the VOC filter would have been totally saturated from that one week. As soon as I replaced it, it was fine.

When dealing with VOCs now, years after I bought my filter and being wary of its limitations, I'm fixated on trying to avoid them when at all possible. I spent two years looking for a rental that would not have "new paint!, new carpet!" or someone fixing indoor things with heavy-duty Stain-Kilz primers and the like. I live in a boat-making/boat-having community and people seem to be totally immune to the worst things you can find. People here think nothing of using varnish in their homes while living in them, and use lead paint and other monstrous things, it's just nuts.

A couple of helpful things I've found are:
-baking soda (leave it in/on a carpet for several days before using a super Dyson-type vacuum suck it up) for smells
-open trays of crushed charcoal for acute VOCs (and you just replace them every 24 hrs), after all, charcoal is what is in those filters and VOC #s are super high for the first day, week, months after product use
-having carpets professionally cleaned by what must be a truck-mounted cleaner using BioKleen detergent (or another cleaner as sound with an MSDS sheet available to prove it). A company I used understood and took seriously my sensitivities and used a detergent they normally do not use and did several extra fresh water rinses and extra blowers for a week's time and I did not react to the cleaning. There is another company which advertises as doing "natural" carpet cleaning in a dry process and I found out this is basically super-awful indoor dry cleaning. They would not give me any MSDS sheets on their products and that was it for me, and I found out later what a racket the whole thing was.

I realize you didn't ask about carpets, but in case you ever (or anyone who reads these forums) come across this, I spent years finding fixes and solutions. I don't know if it's okay to list certain companies, but allergybuyersclub is where I got my filter from and I like their feedback, specific brands they follow, and clear info on all models. HTH!

sianrecovery

Thats really helpful Zoe, thanks. I like the look of the IQ model, but the price hurts. How silent is it on its lowest setting? Thinking about nights. I am also looking into a postive pressure/air drier system that would do the whole flat. Great idea on the charcoal.

zoe.a.m.

Hey, it ate my post! I'll try again. The noise level on 1 is barely audible whatsoever. About 10X more quiet than a white noise machine--really quiet. You might walk into a room with it on 1 and not notice it being on, I've left it on for a fews days without realizing it was still on when set that low. At about 4-6, it sounds like a fan, six is definitely whoosh-y. It was a big financial investment, but I can say the filters (which make up most of that price I guess) lasted about 2 years at least--depends on your allergens of course. I feel like it was about $300 to replace all 3 filtration systems, but I'm not sure. I did look at expected lifetime of the filters when shopping though, since getting a less expensive system with filters that last a shorter time doesn't end up saving any money at all. It is fairly large, but on wheels, is easy to scoot out the way. It's in the corner of my bedroom now, but when in use, I make sure it has the 6' in every direction free that it recommends. Part of the reason I chose it was that it covered a good 1200 sq. ft.

Yes, trays of charcoal: it took me a long time to find that one, but it makes a lot of sense. It's a little tricky to find non-treated charcoal, but I'm glad to pass that one along!

I have the Daikin MC707. I was told these became popular in Japan after the tsunami. I can't say it has made any difference to me health wise. Now, I pretty much just turn it on once in a while in turbo mode when I remember. It comes with 7 years worth of filters which is more than any other I came across and cost me $425.