• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Air Hunger & Tachycardia Return - Help?!

LynnJ

I'm feeling lost right now. I could really, really use some help.

I currently take 1000mcg of hydroxy B12 and 1600-2400mcg of folinic acid (the only form I tolerate) daily. I also take 300-400mcg of magnesium each day.

I have been taking a low-dose B-complex too, although not every day. It only provides 100% of the RDA of each B vitamin, so it's not the megadoses provided by many other complexes.

Folate is especially important for me as I'm on a diuretic that can cause dramatically lower levels of folate over long-term use. I've been on it for like 5-6 years.

I've been doing much better for some time now. No more neuropathy in my feet, the excruciating collarbone and shoulder pain is gone...

However, I feel like my fatigue has been worse for about a month now. And my air hunger has returned with a vengeance. My heart rate also spikes above 100bpm at rest or with mild exertion. Normally it's around 85bpm.

I constantly have to yawn and struggle for deep breaths. It's so uncomfortable, and causes headaches and a sore chest. I'm miserable.

I only really started experiencing air hunger once I started on B12 years ago. I thought I had solved it with potassium as needed and by taking a proper dose of folinic acid, which I wasn't doing initially (I was just taking B12 alone). This forum helped me learn a lot!

But now it seems like even the potassium isn't helping. I can only take three 99mcg tablets before my body seems to think I'm prepping for a colonoscopy! LOL! Ugh.

I got my vitamin D levels tested (54) and my ferritin (81). Both seem fine. My thyroid levels are normal as well (and I did a lot of research on what the real normal levels are, not what doctors think they are).

I have no clue what to do. Honestly no clue whatsoever. I don't know why this is happening. Should I stop all B12 and folate for a short bit, try upping my doses... Can anyone help me?

Basilico

Florida
I don't know if I can offer much in the way of helpful suggestions, but a few things came to mind that I wanted to mention.

I've had pneumonia twice, and both times I had that horrible feeling of not being able to breathe deeply and get enough oxygen (I actually went to the hospital the first time because I thought I was asphyxiating, but it turned out my oxygen levels were actually ok). After that experience, I bought one of those oxygen meters that you clip to your finger, and when I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen, I have a way to determine whether it's the case or not. You might consider getting one of these things, because if your oxygen levels are actually way too low, you should see a pulmonologist. If your levels are ok, then at least you can reassure yourself that even if it feels terrible, at least you know you're not in serious danger from it.

That feeling of not being able to breathe deeply along with the pain in your chest is what I experienced with pneumonia, and it could be in fact that you have some type of similar infection. My 2nd pneumonia was an atypical viral one (my pulmonologist's best guess) and I ultimately had to wait for it to slowly go away on it's own. But if yours is a bacterial infection, then ignoring it is not a great idea.

What is 'air hunger'? I've never heard of that before.

Potassium is pretty dangerous to take a high dosage in capsule form because the risk is that the capsules open while in contact with the stomach, which can hurt the stomach. That's why they only put 99mg in one capsule. You could open up like 7 or 10 capsules and dissolve in a full glass of water and drink it with no problem. In fact, my husband who has IBS-D and gets crazy diarrhea attacks was able to take 1,000 mg of potassium citrate mixed in a glass of water with no issue at all. So if you know you need a lot of potassium, you might want to consider taking it this way so that you can take the amount you need without destroying your insides.

I'm obviously not sure what's causing your headaches, but have you ever tried lying upside down when you get one? Sometimes I get headaches from low blood pressure and laying on the floor or couch with my legs against the wall often makes them go away. Could be worth a try to see if it helps.

Sorry I didn't have anything better to offer, I hope you feel better.

LynnJ

"Air hunger is respiratory distress marked by gasping, labored breathing or dyspnea. With air hunger, you'll feel the need to take deep breathes, but likely will have difficulty when you try. So you're left with an ongoing and destressing feeling of not being able to get enough air."

My breathing seems a little better today. Still not normal. But my muscle twitches in my calves are crazy! Experiencing some in my forearms too. Just won't let up. This is all so weird. Been off all B vitamins since Sunday, just taking potassium and magnesium still...

Speaking purely from my own experience, most of the time air hunger and elevated heart rate etc is a function of low folate or potassium. Very occasionally though I find that a good dose of b2 alleviates it. I personally do better with r5p but it can also then drive up methylation levels and make your body demand more potassium.

I assume b2 is needed for folate absorption somehow as usually once I correct my b2 levels, my histamine rises and I get that distinct methyl trapped feeling. A little more b12 to react with the folate and I am ok again.