• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AIDS Controlled by Natural Remedies in Africa

Hip

BTW, no one is saying that a holistic approach to HIV cannot have health benefits. But that's very different to someone claiming that they have found a cure (or similar) for HIV without rigorous evidence.

I agree. Betty Hewitt's dietary approach might be of some benefit in AIDS; but why does she become an embarrassment to humanity by going down the AIDS denier route?

Though her data does not look robust:

Out of the 10 AIDS patients involved in her very small scale trial of her treatment program, 6 died, but she said 4 were found to have reduced viral load after her treatment.

However, when you look at her data table, even for this very small scale trial, the viral load figures are incomplete, and as far as I can see, there are only 6 patients for whom she has viral load data at the end of the 3 month trial, and out of those 6, only 1 had a significant reduction in viral load (1,200,000 down to 56,000 copies per ml of blood).

I wonder if the patients that died were given antiretroviral drugs instead of Betty Hewitt's treatment, would they still be alive? The ones that died apparently had advanced AIDS.

Undisclosed

Here's a lovely tidbit from her site.

Start with physillium seed intestinal cleanser mixed with grape juice or pineapple juice at 7am. Then whip a clove of garlic in a little water or take 5 garlic pearls with 3 charcoal tablets 3 times a day beginning at 8am.

Take 10,000mg of Vitamin C daily, take 25,000 IU Vitamin A two times daily, take 100mg of Niacin 3 times daily, (note: niacin will feel warm and your face will flush for a few minutes)

Since AIDS is a virus, you must clean out the whole body, therefore take a colon irrigation at the end of the 3rd day.

The first thing that must be done is a confession of sins. Christ put this program together, and we must realise that he is the power behind it to heal.

First point, a colon irrigation cleans the colon not the whole body. Also, it would be quite dangerous for a person with AIDs for many different reasons.

Why must one confess their sins? How many sins have HIV positive children committed? What sins did those people who got infected via HIV transfusion commit? I don't want to make assumptions of what she means by that but I hope she is not alluding to what I think she is. It's odd that she would even bring religion into her 'research'.

So if one is not healed by this program that Christ developed, what does that mean? It means you get to blame the patient for being ill and not believing enough in Christ's power to heal. That is truly truly sad.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
And wow! 25,000 of Vit A twice a day? I hope she doesn't mean continuously. Vit A builds up and can be toxic. The "mild flush" from niacin can feel more like you are dying if you don't build up to that dose.

And confessing your sins? Babies! as Kina mentioned? And how exactly did Christ put this program together?

Jarod

They are using 80 grams of Honey in the AM. That's alot of honey. Like four tablespoons.

Please don't go out and lather yourselves and friends with honey, unless it's for primarily entertainment purposes....

I'm not endorsing this, and haven't vetted these links totally, but sounds interesting for those with bee hives or whatever.

"At present most antimicrobial interventions for patients with infected wounds, are with systemic antibiotics. The use of a topical agent such as manuka honey to eradicate bacteria from wounds is potentially cheaper and may well augment antibiotic therapy in the future," study author Sarah Maddocks (Cardiff Metropolitan University, UK) told MedWire News.

"To date we are not aware of any honey-resistant bacteria, therefore manuka honey could help to overcome some of the problems associated with antimicrobial resistant strains of bacteria,"

http://www.medwirenews.com/66/97238..._promise_for_preventing_wound_infections.html

Effect of Honey on Streptococcus mutans Growth and Biofilm Formation

http://aem.asm.org/content/78/2/536.full

USE OF NEW ACTIVE LEPTOSPERMUM HONEY DRESSINGS
IN NON-HEALING WOUNDS
http://www.dermasciences.com/clin_pdf/NEWACTIVELEPTOSPERMUMStrilko.pdf

Honey is a well-known antiseptic for cuts and burns and its application can stop some open wounds from developing infections.

Honey can help heal cold sores, and has been found to be more effective than some prescription cold sore medications, according to researchers at the University of Wales.

Several studies have shown honey to be effective against staph infections, and Manuka honey has even been shown to be effective against the Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MSRA bacteria, when administered topically.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/179507-antiviral-properties-of-honey/

Our results showed that honey has significant in vitro anti-VZV activity. As, honey is convenient for skin application, is readily available and inexpensive, honey may be an excellent remedy to treat zoster rash in developing countries where antiviral drugs are expensive or not easily available.

Researchers singled out three particularly nasty bacteria: two strains of staph bacteria, MSSA (methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus) and MRSA(methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), and one called Pseudomonas aeriginosa (PA).
The two types of honey were effective in killing the bacteria. Even bacteria growing in a biofilm, a thin, slimy layer formed by bacteria that affords resistance to antibiotics, were susceptible to honey.
The researchers also found that the two types of honey worked significantly better than an antibiotic against MSSA and MRSA, according to past research.
http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20080922/humble-honey-kills-bacteria

MEDIHONEY® dressings, a unique line of dressings containing Active Leptospermum Honey from New Zealand, possess unique qualities that make them ideal for the management of chronic and acute wounds and burns. A strong and growing evidence base – including several large scale randomized controlled studies – have shown that MEDIHONEY® dressings are effective on hard-to-heal wounds and burns, in addition to helping to debride wounds and keeping wound beds clean of necrotic tissue.

http://www.dermasciences.com/products/advanced-wound-care/medihoney/inside-the-u-s/

Jarod

Laboratory tests show that lemon juice is a potent destroyer of both HIV and sperm, Australian researchers say.
If planned tests in primates and people are successful, lemon juice could be ideal for women without easy access to safe barrier contraceptives, such as condoms, says the team at Melbourne University, led by Roger Short.
But experts in anti-AIDS medications warn that the safety of using the juice internally and its efficacy in people are as yet unknown.
Short says a solution of 10 per cent lemon juice produced a 1000-fold reduction in HIV activity in a lab sample. And half a teaspoon of the juice wiped out two teaspoons of sperm in 30 seconds. The high acidity of the juice is responsible for killing HIV and sperm.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2910-lemon-juice-is-hivkilling-spermicide.html

Undisclosed

Research has shown that amount of lemon/lime juice needed to stop HIV is likely to cause damage to the vagina. This damage would make it much easier for HIV infection to occur.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art48598.html

Interesting to note:

Dozens of other candidate microbicides are currently in the research pipeline, including several derived from "natural substances" such seaweed or the oil of the Indian Neem Tree. But all potential microbicides -- whether derived from naturally occurring substances or manufactured ones -- have to go through a rigorous testing process to find out whether they are safe for women to use and whether they work. One of these is Carraguard, a product made from the seaweed gel carrageenan. It has been proven to be safe for vaginal use and is now in large-scale effectiveness trials in South Africa to see if it reduces HIV transmission.

Well that apparently didn't work out --- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19059048

There have been some successes with stem cell treatment

Jarod

Kina

Just illustrating lemon juice has anti-viral properties.

From your body article. Your study in the body was using lime juice in amounts great than 50% concentration causing damage to vagina or penis's.

This research suggests that, in real life use (in the vagina along with semen), a 50% concentration of lime juice is needed to stop HIV. BUT a concentration of 50% or higher is also likely to cause damage to the vagina -- and possibly the penis. This damage could make it easier for HIV infection to occur.

I was thinking about using highly diluted enemas with lemon juice to get a little edge. I drink fresh squezed lemon juice and it seems to help my GI system.

Undisclosed

Kina

Just illustrating lemon juice has anti-viral properties.

From your body article. Your study in the body was using lime juice in amounts great than 50% concentration causing damage to vagina or penis's.

I was thinking about using highly diluted enemas with lemon juice.

The article refers to both lemon and lime juice

Carol Lackman-Smith of the Southern Research Institute in the US did a laboratory study comparing the cytotoxicity (cell-damaging effect) and anti-HIV activity of lemon and lime juice to that of the spermicide nonoxynol-9 (N-9). She tested these three substances on cervical explant tissue (human cells obtained from routine hysterectomies and kept alive in lab cultures) to find out what impact they might have on the same kinds of cells in the human body. She found the amount of cell damage caused by lemon and lime juice was similar to the damage caused by N-9, a product dropped from consideration as a microbicide in 2000 when it was shown capable of increasing women's vulnerability to HIV infection if used frequently.

Lackman-Smith also looked at how much lemon or lime juice was needed to stop HIV and found that it was the same concentration (50% or greater) that also caused cell damage. She concluded that, when the juice is diluted to a point where no cell damage occurred, it also had little or no effect on HIV.

Robin Shattock (at St. George's Hospital, London) and Gustavo Doncel (CONRAD) also did lab studies on lemon and lime juice. Dr. Shattock showed that lime juice inactivates HIV more effectively than lemon juice. He also showed that a 25% concentration of lime juice could cause cell damage in tissue samples from the penis. Dr. Doncel showed that even a 25% concentration could damage vaginal cells. Both found that, to inactivate HIV in semen, one had to expose it to a 50% concentration of lime juice for 30 minutes.

What Messages Should We Be Giving to Women About Lime and Lemon Juice?

Using lime or lemon juice to try to protect against HIV is risky, and may actually increase a woman's risk of becoming infected. Scientific studies show that lime and lemon juice do not meet the standards of safety and effectiveness (clinical trials) that must be required of any microbicide.

Even though they are natural substances and readily available in many places, they are more likely to increase a woman's risk of becoming infected than to decrease it. We must caution women against using these juices just as we now caution them against using N-9 for HIV prevention -- because it doesn't work.

Enemas wouldn't be a wise idea for many different reasons.

Highly diluted lemon juice would be ineffective in that it wouldn't kill the HIV. Enemas tend to push things further into the body. So you would have an ineffective amount of lemon juice while at the same time pushing the HIV further into the body.

There are many substances that when highly concentrated will kill HIV and other viruses in the lab. But this doesn't translate to being effective inside the body and just because something in 'natural' it doesn't mean it is safe.

Lemons have some marvellous antibiotic/antiviral properties but as a preventative measure to avoid becoming infected with HIV, I would say it likely would not be effective and may make things worse.

IreneF

We already know how to prevent HIV infections: condoms and clean needles. Even circumcision can cut the rate of transmission. We have drugs that can control the infection for decades.

Unfortunately, causes of AIDS are mostly social and economic. Areas of extreme poverty, where women lack equal rights, where homosexuality is illegal, where violence is endemic--these are the places where AIDS proliferates.

Jarod

Undigested Proteins is Food for the HIV Virus

The food particles the virus grows on is “mucus” which consists of a gluey mixture of proteins that were not digested in the stomach.
The muco-proteins the HIV virus loves clings to the walls of the colon. As the virus grow, some pass through the intestinal wall and into the blood stream. Once in the bloodstream, the virus is identified as an antigen – a foreign protein.
The immune system sets about to attack and destroy it. Since the invasion of new HIV virus from the intestinal tract into the bloodstream could go on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year, the immune system is simply driven to exhaustion.
The immune system eventually loses its ability to replace the generals of the immune system, the T-4 helper cells. As a result, the number of T-4 helper cells declines and the immune system grows weaker. The end result is AIDS.
http://natural-remedies-hiv-aids.com/strategy/

IreneF

I thought HIV was transmitted by sexual activity or infected blood, not by ingesting the virus, so how does it get to the colon? And I don't think mucus is composed of undigested food. Otherwise blowing one's nose would be an entirely different experience.

Undisclosed

This article is garbage. This woman is astoundingly ignorant of HIV infection, how the body works, digestion etc. The problem is that if she presents it with enough authority and appears to know what she is talking about, people will believe her if they have no knowledge of the mechanics of viral infection, digestion etc.

The HIV virus may have a sanctuary from which to grow and multiply and invade the bloodstream. That sanctuary is, I believe, the lower bowel of the intestinal tract (the colon).

Why just the colon? Mucus is produced in digestive tract, respiratory tract, the reproductive tract, plus our eyes contain a layer of mucus. Is it because part of her protocol depends colon cleansing and irrigation?

Somebody should tell her that it is incorrect to use the term 'HIV virus' which she does so repeatedly because she is saying 'Human Immunodeficiency Virus virus' when you don't use the abbreviation.

Jarod

Go buy yourself a bag of lemons and a bottle of psyllium husks people.

Take two lemons, peel off the yellow rind, and blend the pith, seeds, and all together with 8-12 ounces of water and a scoop full of psyllim seeds. I would also suggest using a straw because the lemon can be hard of the tooth enamel.

Also take a lemon and do an enima too. See for yourself..... or if you want the official line of BS, you can go to the CDC website and find out about the latest CBT and GET techniques.

I'm a patient and looking to get better or figure out what works. See for yourself people. Cheers! :)

ukxmrv

I tried the psyllium and it gave me terrible stomach problems. Lemons as well.

I've done the enemas way back in the 80's.

Also the CBT and GET.

They were all worthless and / or painful / harmful

Jarod

I tried the psyllium and it gave me terrible stomach problems. Lemons as well.

I've done the enemas way back in the 80's.

Also the CBT and GET.

They were all worthless and / or painful / harmful

I never bothered with the CBT, kind of seemed suspect. I can do my own GET when I'm up to it.

Sorry to hear that it upsets your stomach. Can you go with a lighter dose maybe without the psyllium? Probably not going to work for everybody, but seems to be helping me so far. Hard to say after just two or three days.

When I took ABX, I had horrible stomach pain that passed with time. I've taken the three abx protocol in the past so I probably have killed off a bunch of stuff already.

ukxmrv

I tried for a good year, Jarod. Then again about 15 years later at a lower dose when I was trying "leaky gut" regimes. Seems to be something that my stomach just can't handle. Got worse over time. The lemons as well.

It seems that with some PWME that anything requiring digestion can be a huge problem. After decades of supplements I find that suddenly, things can cause problems (like evening primrose oil) or just stop working (like probiotics).