Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Agomelatine but not melatonin improves fatigue perception: a longitudinal proof-of-concept study

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by MikeJackmin, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    I am going to start Amitryptiline this night. Yeah, apparently it causes commonly heartbeat problems from what I have been reading. Heart problems are pretty scary, have only experienced them once.

Other candidates are: Mirtazapine, Clonidine, Ritanserin, maybe Quetiapine.

2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    good luck. be warned: you will feel like s**t for at least a week when you start this drug. It does pass - at least it did for me.

3. NotThisGuy

NotThisGuy Senior Member

Germany
    Any news to this drug?

4. frederic83

frederic83 Senior Member

France
    I'm going to try agomelatine soon.

5. frederic83

frederic83 Senior Member

France
    After a few days on it, I'm a bit more tired 1 hour after the dose but I don't sleep. Then the sleepiness vanishes and I'm wide awake, as usual. I wait a few hours to see if something else happens. Then it is 6 am and I finally take my melatonine otherwise I don't sleep. I will try it for a week or so, I don't think it is that powerful.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Did you ever try this one, @Hip?

7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I did try agomelatine briefly, and it did I think make me sleep a little more deeply, but I did not notice much other benefits, so I went back to melatonin.

8. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member

UK
    I wonder what the effect is on the immune system?

We need subtype recognition. Not all CFS is the same type.

ME CFIDS is characterised by immune dysfunction. My own condition includes sleep disturbance but also regular, cyclic and unrelenting recurrent virus activity.

Anything which causes me excitement and "adrenalin" tends to shorten the cycle of recurring virus attacks due to the suppressive effect on immunity and also creates an ME backlash of an unknown cause but which could relate to the raised immune challenge resulting from transient immune suppression.

Since norepinephrine has this kind of an immunosuppressive effect it strikes me this may not be an appropriate intervention for some people with CFIDS. Stimulants are generally not good for CFIDS patients in the mid to long term.

If you think about it, its precisely because stimulation diverts energy from immunity to activity that it perks people up. That is its biological function and evolutionary purpose and the driver of the evolution which created norepinephrine as a cognitively initiated molecular signal. Its also why people in an immune crisis feel lousy.

Energy economics is a key concept in biology. There is no such thing as a free lunch and if you divert energy away from immune activity you pay a price. I can only suggest that people be careful, it might help some but not others.

I have found that sleep hygiene helps i.e. when using a computer or watching TV, dont do it within three hours of sleeping. Also conscious relaxation and awareness of muscular and mental tension can help but you have to persist with it so it becomes second nature to relax and not allow tension to build up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  9. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Improving the circadian rhythm with agomelatine, as per the article posted above, could be a really *good* thing for the immune system.

This article also challenges the idea that NE is always suppressive to the immune system.

10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    So this one seems to be a winner for me. I feel “brighter” in general and have started waking up naturally before 8AM again.

It hasn’t really helped my subjective sleep at all (I still am restless) though my Ōura ring suggests my deep sleep has increased from 1-12 min range to 40-50.

Anyway, more positives than negatives for me, for now anyway.

11. serusaert

serusaert

Seattle
    thanks everyone for the posts. i ordered from rupharma - will report back in a few weeks.

See more popular forum discussions.