• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice on NutraEval and Organic Acids Interpretation

I have done the NutraEval 2 times and the Organic acids one time. I have not had someone analyze these tests in detail. I will post both results. My main concern is why is my NAC 0 in the Organic acids test. And my hippuric acid is very high too. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with GI pathogens, but with phase 2 liver detoxification (conjugation). My gluthathione was also low on the NutraEval I recently did.

On the Organic Acids test I was taking Megaspore, but no probiotic with the NutraEval which is why I had a lot of malabsorption issues. I was only taking magnesium (50mg) and zinc picolinate (40mg) I need to figure out the nutrient that is causing my NAC to be 0 and high hippuric acid on all my tests.

I've been doing from doctor-to-doctor wasting money and no doctor knows even functional medicine doctors. I'm confused and need some help. Any advice for me? Trying to find someone covered by insurance. Any other tests you would do to figure this out and any very experienced functional medicine or integrative medical doctors who you would recommend?

Why is my RBC magnesium normal but my magnesium need on page 5 is very high. I don't get it.

Attachments

• most recent NutraEval- 6-2017.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • Organic Acids.pdf
    732.3 KB · Views: 26

caledonia

What kinds of symptoms do you have? - I'm seeing possibilities in mood, gut, detoxification, and energy.

NAC is a precursor to glutathione. Those are in the transsulfuration pathway. B6 is required for the CBS enzyme (at the top of the transsulfuration pathway) with B2 required to convert B6 to its active form. Those are showing a high need on the Nutreval.

Then before that is the methylation cycle which creates the precursors for the transsulfuration cycle. You're showing a high need for B12 and folate which run the methylation cycle. Magnesium is a co-factor for that and many other reactions.

Mag can show ok in the blood, but still be low in the cells where its actually needed. The best way to tell is do you have deficiency symptoms like muscle twitches or cramps, heart palps, etc. And does mag supplementation help you feel better.

Note that you can either be deficient in nutrients or have toxic metals inhibiting the cycle on top of whatever inborn genetic mutations. Unless you have risk factors for B12 or folate deficiency, like veganism, restricted diet or digestive issues, the metals are the worst offenders.

I don't really have the wherewithal to go through it with a fine tooth comb, but my suggestion would be to use the tally sheet in the Nutreval Intepretation Guide and go through both the testing companies' interpretations and the Nutreval Interpretation Guide's interpretations one item at a time, and tally up everything you find. This will give your a birds eye summary of the results. Even one mention of something could be significant, but more likely you'll seem the same thing repeated many times.

For example, I had many hits for both B vitamins and various metals.

Learn how to read the citric acid cycle diagram properly. If you have drop-off in function (like succinic acid), it's either a deficiency of the nutrients in the green circle or the metals in the red circle between that and the step before. So then you would mark all of those on the tally sheet.

This isn't shown on these tests, but the methylation cycle is inhibited by mercury and lead at methionine synthase where B12 is a co-factor for folate to make methyl groups, so I would add those to the tally too as possibilities.

Additionally, my functional medicine doctor did not want me taking any vitamins besides magnesium and zinc, such adenosylcobalamin and folate for 7 days prior to this test which is I was low. The RBC magnesium is the best way to test magnesium I’ve been told intracellularly versus outside of the cell. Magnesium helps but if I take too much I wake up in a fog likely due to my sodium and potassium levels.

My toxic metals all did not register which are on the back page of the NutraEval. It’s likely some nutrient that is causing my low glutathione in transsulfuration, such as cysteine plus P5P. I used to take P5P and it gave me digestive issues.

In terms of magnesium, I really do not notice any major symptoms other than tingling at night.

Learner1

Your gut is a big issue. Fixing it will go a long way. You might benefit from a low carb diet.

In the meantime, you need lots of methylation methylation and antioxidant support.

As for taking and interpreting the NutrEval, my family's been doing it annually for 8 years and we find we don't need to skip supplements other than the day of. We just adjust what we're taking upward or downward based on results.

Also, get the Physician's copy - its a 25 page version with lots of explanation of your results...very valuable. Most doctors don't get it, but I've found it quite valuable over time.

caledonia

Additionally, my functional medicine doctor did not want me taking any vitamins besides magnesium and zinc, such adenosylcobalamin and folate for 7 days prior to this test which is I was low. The RBC magnesium is the best way to test magnesium I’ve been told intracellularly versus outside of the cell. Magnesium helps but if I take too much I wake up in a fog likely due to my sodium and potassium levels.

My toxic metals all did not register which are on the back page of the NutraEval. It’s likely some nutrient that is causing my low glutathione in transsulfuration, such as cysteine plus P5P. I used to take P5P and it gave me digestive issues.

In terms of magnesium, I really do not notice any major symptoms other than tingling at night.

Getting electrolyte levels correct can take some experimentation. My doc had me start with potassium first, then magnesium, then sodium. It took me about a month to get it tweaked just right. If you need electrolytes, think adrenal fatigue.

It's probably worthwhile trialing B6, B2 and/or P5P in case it's a nutrient deficiency or a supplement can be helpful. That's easier than trying to remove metals.

The toxic metals portion of the test is a blood test. It will only show current exposures.

The toxic metals bioaccumulate from various sources over your lifetime and get stored in your body's tissues, bones and brain. They don't come back out of the brain unless you force them out by chelation. They do come out of the tissues and bones, but the process is very slow, like decades. So they may be silently stored in your body blocking enzymes and pathways and causing damage.

You can extrapolate the presence of metals by looking at other parts of the test.