Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Advice on heart rate monitor - HR, sleep cycle data, possibly HRV

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by InitialConditions, Jun 28, 2018.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions

Lancashire, UK
    Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor, so I'm doing a bit of research. I realise there are several threads already here at PR dealing with this topic, but some are outdated and I have specific requests.

A watch is probably my first port of call, though I would consider a strap.

I want to track heart rate throughout the day, including sleep.

I'd also like some reasonaly accurate sleep cycle data.

The device must be responsive - ideally it can sense quick changes in heart rate, for example sitting to standing in someone with POTS. I'd also love to be able to track HRV, but I understand this would mean a chest strap?

if possible, I would like to be able to easily visualise the data (using a companion app for example), and by downloading or transfering the data to a PC for my own analysis.

Budget is up to £150

So, does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!

Judee likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    I bought a Garmin Vivosport recently; it tracks HR pretty well, and shows it full-time; it does track it during sleep too. The date on sleep is not very detailed, but gives a rough picture. Data can easily be transferred to the Connect ap on a PC. It does claim to track HRV, and gives a figure upon request, though I have no way of telling how accurate this is. If it shows a high stress rate, it offers the option of taking you through a slow beathing routine to lower stress.

InitialConditions likes this.
  3. HeleneG

HeleneG

My Apple Watch does that. It sends alerts if my bpm goes over 100 or under 40 and it kind of tracks my sleep.

4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions

Lancashire, UK
    Has anyone got a chest strap device?

5. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    Yes, I have a fairly cheap Timex that does OK. I have found that my Vivosport does not do a good job if I row--I suspect any vigorous arm activity is likely to produce incorrect readings, though I think it does OK for things like walking. The Timex is definitely more accurate for rowing. But it is a minor nuisance to put the belt on and take it off. My rowing machine has a receiver under the track, and the HR shows on the monitor. But since I can only row for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, it does not matter much!

See more popular forum discussions.