• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice on heart rate monitor - HR, sleep cycle data, possibly HRV

Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor, so I'm doing a bit of research. I realise there are several threads already here at PR dealing with this topic, but some are outdated and I have specific requests.

A watch is probably my first port of call, though I would consider a strap.

I want to track heart rate throughout the day, including sleep.

I'd also like some reasonaly accurate sleep cycle data.

The device must be responsive - ideally it can sense quick changes in heart rate, for example sitting to standing in someone with POTS. I'd also love to be able to track HRV, but I understand this would mean a chest strap?

if possible, I would like to be able to easily visualise the data (using a companion app for example), and by downloading or transfering the data to a PC for my own analysis.

Budget is up to £150

So, does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!

Chris

I bought a Garmin Vivosport recently; it tracks HR pretty well, and shows it full-time; it does track it during sleep too. The date on sleep is not very detailed, but gives a rough picture. Data can easily be transferred to the Connect ap on a PC. It does claim to track HRV, and gives a figure upon request, though I have no way of telling how accurate this is. If it shows a high stress rate, it offers the option of taking you through a slow beathing routine to lower stress.

My Apple Watch does that. It sends alerts if my bpm goes over 100 or under 40 and it kind of tracks my sleep.

Chris

Yes, I have a fairly cheap Timex that does OK. I have found that my Vivosport does not do a good job if I row--I suspect any vigorous arm activity is likely to produce incorrect readings, though I think it does OK for things like walking. The Timex is definitely more accurate for rowing. But it is a minor nuisance to put the belt on and take it off. My rowing machine has a receiver under the track, and the HR shows on the monitor. But since I can only row for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, it does not matter much!