• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adverse Reaction to Twilight Anesthetic?

Tembo

Australia
Morning:Retro smile:

I wonder if any of you could shed some light on this for me.

My sister - CFS/ME sufferer just had a gastroscopy last Tues with a Twilight Anesthetic ( where they put you 'just' under as a opposed to a general.

She came out of the relatively simple procedure with nausea and some vomiting but after that passed by late evening she is still very unwell still 4days later. Whilst she is normally still able to be out and about doing things she has not moved much except from bed to couch since then. She feels like someone has filled her full of lead and this morning she couldnt even stand up to get back to bed from the couch. Although she suffers cfs its not usually to this extent - she is still able to function in quite a reasonable manner.

She called the hospital and spoke to a few nurses who say it sounds like an adverse reaction to the anesthetic and she needs to go to the ER. The problem with this is that she couldnt sit in a chair for a possible 4hr wait to see a doc.

I know our reactions to medicine are very very different to healthy people - is it possible that its just taking longer to get out of her system? Is there something she can take to flush it out quicker? one person she spoke too told her rather rudely there is no way its from the anesthetic and she must have a virus. Which really doesnt make sense as she was fine when she went in for surgery.

any thoughts?

taniaaust1

She called the hospital and spoke to a few nurses who say it sounds like an adverse reaction to the anesthetic and she needs to go to the ER. The problem with this is that she couldnt sit in a chair for a possible 4hr wait to see a doc.

If you want to get her to the ER (thou i doubt if there will be really anything they can do for her if it is a drug reaction.. or if its caused a CFS/ME crash!! Dealing with doctors and tests can cause that even without meds), i suggest to ring them again.. and arrange for them to have a stretcher for her to lay on as soon as she gets there.. tell them she is struggling with sitting up for long and will not be okay in a chair. (at times if im desperate.. i'll lay on floor of ER and they then usually thou not always quickly get me a stretcher).

I also advise to take earplugs (in case other patients are screaming or crying)... and also something to put over her eyes to block out the bright hospital light in case she needs to sleep.

(ive found that even in doctors surgerys.. one can at times lay on a bed in another room while one waits).