• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Adverse Impact on Research of the PACE Trial?" by Fred Friedberg, PhD

Esther12

Despite the bits like this:

To me, the most misleading and damaging aspect of the PACE trial was contained in the subsequent reporting of “recovery” outcomes for a small minority of patients in the original trial. As a full restoration of health is rare in this illness, the publicity generated by the reporting of such inflated outcomes has led to the erroneous conclusion that simple behavioral interventions such as GET is all that these patients need. This can have the effect of delegitimizing the illness even more and may discourage biomedical research on ME/CFS.

This one line is the one that does the most to grab my attention:

The PACE trial authors defended themselves point by point in one of the articles.

They haven't done that!!! They always evade key points.

I do realise that I need to sort myself out if I can't be pleased with an editorial like that.