• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenergic Effect on Cytokine Release After Ex Vivo Healthy Volunteers’ Whole Blood LPS Stimulation

JaimeS

Adrenergic Effect on Cytokine Release After Ex Vivo Healthy Volunteers’ Whole Blood LPS Stimulation
  • Vasiliki Papandreou
  • , Nadia Kavrochorianou
  • , Theodoros Katsoulas
  • , Pavlos Myrianthefs
  • , Kyriaki Venetsanou
  • , George Baltopoulos
Abstract
Catecholamines are molecules with immunomodulatory properties in health and disease. Several studies showed the effect of catecholamines when administered to restore hemodynamic stability in septic patients. This study investigates the effect of norepinephrine and dobutamine on whole blood cytokine release after ex vivo lipopolysaccharide (LPS) stimulation. Whole blood collected from healthy individuals was stimulated with LPS, in the presence of norepinephrine or dobutamine at different concentrations, with or without metoprolol, a β1 receptor antagonist. Cytokine measurement was performed in isolated cell culture supernatants with ELISA. Results are expressed as mean ± SEM and compared with Mann-Whitney rank-sum test. Both norepinephrine and dobutamine significantly reduced TNF-α and IL-6 production after ex vivo LPS stimulation of whole blood in a dose-dependent manner, and this effect was partially reversed by the presence of metoprolol. Norepinephrine and dobutamine reduce the LPS-induced production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, thus possibly contributing to altered balance between the inflammatory and anti-inflammatory responses, which are vital for a successful host response to severe disease, shock, and sepsis.

KEY WORDS
sepsis inflammation norepinephrine dobutamine
Rest of article is available on sci-hub.

-J

JaimeS

Good point, @Bob ! It doesn't mention ME/CFS by name -- I just checked. I posted it here because my Google Alert informed me of this article, and it's cued to inform me when someone cites certain ME/CFS researchers.

Of course, once can use an ME/CFS study without discussing ME/CFS... and one can be an ME/CFS researcher and still write about other things. ;)

-J

[Edit: asked mods to move it.]

Justin30

I thought LPS has been moderately correlated to ME/CFS so wouldnt this paper be relveant even though it does not directly have ME/CFS in the title or the study?