• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenaline Surges

filfla4

I found this article particularly useful so I thought I'd share it with you. It really describes a lot of what I experience, particularly the adrenaline surge masking the pain and then being in excruciating pain when I rest. Clearly I'm doing too much but with young kids it's soooooo difficult to stop!! :(

http://www.hfme.org/adrenalinesurgetips.htm

Any thoughts?

P.S. For those of you who are not well enough to read a long text, the article is not as long as it seems because there are lots of links at the bottom. Also, about two-thirds of the way down, there's a summary of the article.

soxfan

Excellent article...I have been experiencing this for about a week now. I know I live above my limits and have been able to get away with it for the most part. I think now I have way overdone and am in trouble...Thank you for posting this link!

Kim

liverock

If you want to control adrenaline I have found Taurine to be the most effective, 3 to 4 grams spread out over the day is enough. It might take a while to be fully effective but you should start feeling calmer after a few days.

Taurine is an amino acid we normally get in our diet from poultry, meat and fish, but stress wil deplete it. .

Google taurine +adrenaline, there's lots of research.

I get mine here but you may be able to get it at your local HFS.

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Taurine-1000-1-000-mg-240-Capsules/19138?at=0

BTW Red Sox fan- better get used to having no money for team strengthening for a while. Its going to take $millions to get Liverpool out of trouble. :D

Wonko

many thanks - that explains a lot - including the odd non occurance of PEM, why I've been struggling (more than usual) the last few months and why no one ever seems to catch 'bugs' that floor me

probably very helpful - will run it past someone with a functioning brain and memory and see what they say

soxfan

liverock- can i take taurine without asking my doctor first? I am not on any supplements at all right now. i need to get some because i can't take much more of this adrenlin stuff..i am going to crash hard when it stops...

liverock

soxfan

Taurine is part of the normal persons diet,its an amino acid derived from the protein you consume in meat and poultry etc. People normally consume up to 400mg/day through their diet and most people have no problems with taurine supplementation.

However, depending on their particular methylation defects, some PWME find that increased taurine either doesnt help them or agree with them.

I started off with a small capsule of 1,000mg once a day for a day or two to see how I felt, and then gradually increased over a period until I got to a dose that suited me. I think this is the wise way for taking all new supplements and I would suggest this would be the best way for you to try taurine supplementation.

If you are suffering badly and stressed out, it might help to take magnesium and a Vitamin B Complex with the taurine.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-200-mg-250-Tablets/691?at=0
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-B-50-Vitamin-B-Complex-250-Tablets/409?at=0

If you are taking any prescription medication then its best to check with your doctor first for any drug contraindications.

Hope everything works out and you avoid the crash. Remember :In bed: is the key.

soxfan

liverock-Thanks for the information. I think I will check with my doctor since I am on a few prescription medications. He wants me to try some NT supplements too which I still have to order. I have no idea what is in them so I should check the ingredients first because they might contain taurine already...
Yes...I am resting the best I can. The adrenaline has stopped and now I think I will really be feeling very badly soon.